RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Monday, April 2, 2012

I'M BACK FROM THE FIBER ART RETREAT

I'm back at the grind stone today...  I had a great time at the 4th MARITIMES FIBER ART RETREAT  in Nova Scotia and a little tired from lack of sleep. The weather was fantastic for travel to Nova Scotia. Unfortunately we didn't had time to stop to visit fiber shops on the way.We got there on record time and didn't got lost thanks to my two great navigators.  There is one crucial exit where there is a fork in the road  that was not on the Google map and the girls remembered exactly where it was this time so we went in the right direction. There were 190 fiber artists registered and this year they had to use 2 rooms to accommodate everyone. There were lots of spinners and hookers amongst many other fiber arts.

I took a lot of photos but unfortunately it was difficult to get everyone's piece as anyone who has been to one of these events would understand.  Everyone gets so many interruptions from admirers that I didn't had the heart to impose on the artists to stretch out their art pieces for a photo. There was some tatting instructions and I'm planning on trying this beautiful art next year if the nice lady will demonstrate again.

This is piggy, she our faithful  traveling mascot who comes with us to all the Maritimes Fiber Art Retreat and to the girls' spinning retreats. Of course she's made of fiber after all.


That is me the driver of the van with my precious cargo of my daughter Jackie and her friend Sarah and all the spinning wheels, hooking frame, wool and fiber and suitcases etc..



This is Sarah, my daughter's friend.



This is my wonderful goofy daughter Jackie taking a self portrait with my camera.  She reminds me of that rich old geezer on the Simpsons cartoon,  I can't remember his name.... She'll kill me when she sees this.






This is my daughter Jackie in the center and some of her friends spinning their little hearts away.



My daughter on the left with a friend and her mom.
I guess that will be it for today's post as my computer is uploading very slow right now and I lost some of the photos that I just uploaded... rats... and wanted to show and I've got to go. I'll upload some on tomorrow's post hopefully. I love your comments.  JB





15 comments:

  1. Mr. Smithers... yep... you're going to hear about that one! lol! Glad you had fun at the show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking more about Mr Burns. I had to google it. Bahahaha. JB

      Delete
  2. So happy you all had a great time, and yes I think your daughter might want to get you for the photo. Tatting is so beautiful, something I have wanted to try also,but a little intimidated by it. Take care and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like great fun. I like the second picture of your daughter best, hah. Glad you had fun and didn't get lost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it sounds like you had fun the lack of sleep comes from having fun that is the best way to lose sleep
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it looks like so much fun. I kept thinking and thinking about you and wondered if you were having a good time. I can't wait to see more photos. Do you spin too?
    Did you get to work on your rug very much?
    I am so glad you had a nice time. That is on my list sometime, to fly to Nova Scotia and attend one of these things. Just so I could hang out with you and Kim. :) I bet I would learn so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing better than a road trip but this looks extra fun with the retreat! My Grandmother tatted and she actually did my Sister's headpiece for her wedding. It was beautiful. It's almost a lost art. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julia,
    I love that photo of you behind the wheel! You look so happy! Your photos so far are great and I hope your daughter doesn't quit speaking to you! LOL! Will wait for more photos! Glad you had fun!!
    Hugs!
    Cathy G

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun you all had!! thank you for being the photographer & were able to share your memories of all the fiber artist work, just beautiful! Tatting is on my bucket list too, it's so intricate, heirloom work for sure & will be a lost art if we don't keep learning this art from those blessed with the talent. Keep the photos coming Julia... thank you for sharing! Looking forward to your future posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAhaa - love Piggy - no litter box to tote or bits to eat… great traveling companion. Has Jackie seen her picture, yet? HAhaaaaa…. love her hair.

    And YOU in charge of the wheel… Being around such creative people! what fun you all had...

    I had this and another comment typed but Panera logged me out earlier! peak hours - so now I'm back...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all the pictures Oh what fun you all had!!! Love seeing spinners.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, I wake up with that goofy girl every morning, and I've never seen the resemblance to Mr. Burns. She's a one-of-a-kind goddess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a rather goofy photo of me I will admit but seeing as I was the one posing and shooting, I could have made a less goofy face. I am stealing a few of your photos to do a post of my own. I spun yards and yards of yarn but I didn't take one single picture!

      Delete
    2. Jackie, take all the photos you need. I'll try to take some better ones next year. I'm just starting to used to use other features on my camera. I have a year to practice. JB

      Delete
  12. Even a one- of- a- kind goddess can make a good imitation of Mr Burns. She got talents you didn't even know about, maybe. JB

    ReplyDelete