About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of one. I have many hobbies and interests but gardening and rug hooking are my main interest at the moment. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and have been married for 51years.

Sunday, October 7, 2012

WHAT I'VE BEEN UP TO LATELY

I've been away from my blog not because I didn't had anything to share, I've been a bit preoccupied, busy, obsessed with digging out my overgrown daylilies and farm work,  office work and running a household and all it encompasses.


This is a picture of the bed in question.  The yellow flowers are Evening Primrose. It had 21 assorted clumps of daylilies planted in the center of the bed and although it looks short, you can gage the length by the large patio block path on the right. One of largest the clump on the end is more visible but as soon as the flowers are finished blooming I usually cut them down and the daylilies spread their leaves out and bloom. You can't even see the weeds but believe me they were there hiding under the flowers.

That bed was dug up in 1999 by lifting the sod and shaking the soil off and adding some compost manure and sand and planted and I've never divided my perennials since.  Slowly the bed got overgrown  and since the flood in 2008 I had no weeds in that bed and then all hell broke loose. Even grass with long white spreading roots took hold and creeping charlies.




Now that the flowers have gone to seed and the daylilies were done blooming this is how the bed looked. Because of the heat and other reasons I never cut back the flowers this year after blooming and creeping charlies and grass took over for me.  I'm sure they meant well but...  You can get a better perspective on the size of this flower bed in this photo.


This is the first step I had to take before digging, cut every thing down. Again the bed looks small in this photo.




Can you see the matted weeds  and the obnoxious creeping charlies?



There were 21 clumps of daylilies removed from this bed.



I broke my fork on the big nasty clump at the end of the bed. It was deep and matted and the most difficult clump to dig up and divide. They were so matted. I had to make a trip uptown to Canadian Tire hardware store to buy new forks. It's easier to divide clumps of daylilies with two fork to pry them apart. Lucky me, the forks were on special that day.




Some of the clumps were small and some were big. Look at that creeping charlies in the grass.



This is what the first divided clump looks like. A lots of divisions. I wash the roots to make it easier to divide.


The end of the weeded flower bed. The bricks will need to be removed and more sand put under to raise them up since the flood deposited some sediment around the bed. That's the easiest job but still a lot of work. My job is far from finished.


I took out my Childhood Memories rug out and I've been hooking about an average of ten minutes a night before I go to bed. I have no idea how the rest will look. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Since my piece of left over burlap was smaller than I needed I stitched some worsted wool remnants to add some edge to make it easier to hook near the border. It will simply be remove when I'm done hooking.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all my Canadian friends.
 Thanks for stopping by my blog everyone and have a safe and happy week...   JB