RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

I'M IN A PICKLE...ING MOOD


The house is permeated with the aroma of homemade Lady Ashburnham pickles and it feels homey. I had some overgrown cucumbers in the garden and they were perfect for making a double batch of pickles. My husband love Lady Ashburnham. I mean that he love the pickles that is.
He helped me peel a mountain of large cucumbers. We scooped the seeds out  and chopped them and put them to brine over night in my huge pot.


My pot is so large that I can make a double batch, no problem as they have to cook for a whole hour before bottling them.  I have to stir often so it doesn't stick. When I make other kinds of pickles, I don't double the batch as they get too soft but with this recipe they have to cook long.


This is to give you an idea of how big  the pot is, no it's not the spaghetti pot but I love this pot too.


Here is the result of all that hard work. My legs were tired from standing for a long time so I thought that I would sit down at the computer with a hot bowl of corn chowder and do a post.

I hope that you all are having a super nice day. First day of school for the kids  in our area. I hope that they all get neat teachers. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
  JB

18 comments:

  1. That's alot of pickles.
    Our school started two weeks ago. So hard to get back in the routine again for the kids and teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmm.... pickles are one of my favorite food groups! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of that name before but they look like mustard pickles. That batch should keep you going for awhile. Unless your family sneaks in and steals a few bottles :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julia,
    If your pickles taste as good as they look they will be yummy...how pretty they look all lined up in their jars! Good job!
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. They SHOULD have one back to school, but actually, none of ours went back to school today. It was a professional development day for teachers in New Brunswick. Except in the Ecole St. Anne. The elementary and middle school start tomorrow, and only the grade 9s go to the high school tomorrow, and only for half a day. The rest have half a day on Thursday, and all go for a full day on Friday. Pretty easy week for them. But the parents were at school today (well, college, not public school)

    My mother loves those pickles too. And so do our kids. Jackie has made them for many years because of that, even though she can't eat them due to an allergy.

    That pot looks like the 17 litre Paderno, just like the one we have. Great pot, and I use it to make spaghetti sauce in large amounts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any kids in school, but I just heard on the radio that the kids were back in school. Maybe it's the schools in the other district. JB

      Delete
  6. I have never heard of this kind of pickles Julia, that must be nice to have such a large pot to cook them in that is amazing that you got that many jars. Could you do a recipe? It looks wonderful. I love pickles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YesKim, I can post the recipe but you can also find it online. I saw one recipe on one site that asked for 16 cucumbers but the original recipe ask for 6 large cucumbers. These are the long cucumbers and it's best to use the overgrown one that has lost of flesh on them. Some add red peppers for looks but the original recipe only has cucumbers and onions and the rest is spices.

      Delete
  7. Is there anything more beautiful than a counter full of canned homemade goodness? I think not! I've never heard of these pickles...are they done like a relish? Too bad we don't have smellablog! (our kids around here have been back in school for 2wks already!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're an industrious soul ~ are you using the gazebo??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Alice, I sat and rested in the Gazebo. I'm not as rushed now since I don't have a hired hand to feed every day. Only one on Saturday. I done a lot of weeding and most of the weeds were in seed. I guess that I was not industrious enough. JB

      Delete
  9. Julia ~
    I've not heard of these, either.
    Glad you are finding a bit of time to enjoy the gazebo.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've been a busy girl! Your jars look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yellow pickles ?! Thatsa BIG pot and what fun with husband time ... Peeling cucumbers ... I just see it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I stopped by to pick up Liam and smelled them before I was even in the door! I haven't made any this year and probably won't I still have a bunch from last year. I think that I made 3 or 4 batches last year. And my cucumbers are so slow that they probably won't get that big anyway.

    ReplyDelete