About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011


I just thought that I would post what I've been up to today. When I got back from the barn this morning I checked my emails to see how my daughter's flight to Ottawa went and instead,we got a phone call from her telling us that she was still in Fredericton and that she had been bumped. They checked her bag with a swab checking for explosive, can you believe?

So her plans for the week is ruined because she didn't checked online to confirm her seat last night.  She purchased her ticket from a travel agency. So her plans are on hold for another week.

Today I decided that I better start to shovel the roof on the sunroom.  There was about 2 feet of snow and the weather was warming up. My husband was busy working on the farm income statement so  I tried to set up my new folding ladder  by myself but it was a bit too heavy for me to set up so I asked my husband for help.  I was afraid to break my window with the heavy ladder. He took pity on me and came to help shovel. It works every time.... Sorry, no pictures.

Then I got into my dye pots and did my yellow. Well it's sort of yellow, I guess. All I know, I like the results.  This time I used Strawberry Red, Buttercup Yellow and Bronze Green. This is my third palette.

Since my canner only holds 7 jars, I use another small pot for my 8th palette.

Here is the results of my yellow palette.

 I decided to dye some skin color and boiled some onion skins.
This is the onion skins that were left after draining.  I could have used a third of it and it would have been plenty.

 I boiled quite a bit more than I needed. I wanted some skin color and thought that I would experiment  with  different strength.  I got quite a bit of dye solution from about two cups of onion skins. A quart plus a bit more in the pot. It doesn't take much to get some strong color.
I started with a very weak solution and added a bit more dye solution for each piece of wool and I believe that this was my third piece. Sorry, I didn't take a picture every time.

This was my last piece, just before I added the vinegar 

 Here is the result of my onion skin for tonight. I'll try some stronger solution tomorrow.

I hope that you enjoyed my little adventure into the dye pot.  Thanks for stopping in and leaving a comment.  JB