RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Monday, September 6, 2021

SEEING THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL

 It's been a busy August with freezing and bottling the harvest and we are now in September and nothing has changed. I'm still bottling and freezing. I'm glad that it almost coming to an end for the bottling at least.  There's still more harvest to do. 

                                



The big cucumbers don't go to waste and are perfect to make Lady Ashburnham pickles. These are good sellers and will be sold at the Church Farmer's Market since we can't have a church supper this year again.


More bags of green beans. These are freezer beans and don't go mushy after cooking. 


                                   Dill Pickles and  Refrigerator Pickles.


                                                          Sweet Corn Relish.


Another big batch of Medium Hot Salsa and the juice that was left from draining the tomatoes was boiled down and seasoned for tomato juice to be used in soup. So far, I've bottled 120 jars of preserves.

Tomorrow, I'll be making some Strawberry Pineapple Jam for the MR. He loves his jam. 

It's been a rainy day today and the sun is supposed to shine tomorrow. For me, Labor Day has always been a day to labor, lol...  There never seems to be time to rest on Holidays. I hope that you got to celebrate in your own way.

Thanks for your visit and for leaving a comment.

Hugs, Julia


14 comments:

  1. I am weary just thinking about the work you have gone through...but I will envy you your put-up goods during the long winter I know is ahead. Those Lady Ashburnham pickles still have me curious...I will need to see if I can find some info about them online. It's been cool and rainy here as well, although the sun was out today and there were periods where it was actually pleasantly warm...although still "sweatery" weather. Rain is back in the forecast for the morning though. Summer is, indeed, over. Silly me, but I didn't realize you celebrated Labor Day in Canada.... Guess I have some more things to learn LOL. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SUPER impressed at your productivity. In my experience women rarely get to rest on Labor Day (or any other holiday). There is ALWAYS cooking and cleaning to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just the name is intriguing! "Lady Ashburnham" pickles! Sounds very elegant for a pickle! You sure did a yeoman's job of all that canning. Beautiful results!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very impressive !!!! You sure have been super busy !!!! Everything looks so pretty & will be delicious to have this winter !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to can pickled beets, tomatoes, jam and also froze a lot of veggies. Now I just make and freeze soup and tomatoes. Quite productive you have been m'dear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! You’ve been very busy! Quite a lot of work! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love harvest time. Thank you for sharing your harvest!
    We made our salsa over the weekend. And froze peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! WOW! WOW! Your canning and freezing are amazing. My mom always did all that, too. So much work but you will enjoy the fruits of your labor all winter long.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Julia you have kept busy as usual I see. Nice to see you here again. B

    ReplyDelete
  10. You never fail to impress me!!! Holy garden!!!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! You are the canning Queen! It will be so delish come winter even though it's hard work now. I made spaghetti sauce and applesauce today. The temps didn't get out of the 60s so it was nice and cool. Well it looks like you put the "labor" in labor day! Take care Julia!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You're an excellent canner! My cucs were wimpy. I must choose a better spot next year.
    Where do you store all your jars and bottles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pom Pom, I store all my jars and preserves in boxes in the basement. I don't get to keep all those preserves as we have a sale to raise funds for the church. We're having a Farmer's Market sale on the 25th. I hope I sell as much as I did last year.

      Delete
  13. Wow!!! I am so amazed! What a bounty. God has blessed you and you have worked hard with what he has given you!

    ReplyDelete