RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Thursday, March 16, 2017

IT'S BEEN COLD FUR SURE...

March started pretty cold and windy with storms after storms and a mixed of temperatures.
My thoughts have turned to Spring but in the meantime life goes on.

My girls, Jackie and Christine were in Glasgow Scotland for a week to finalize arrangements for Nicole's estate and I was worrying about all the menacing stormy weather predictions. They both made it to Ottawa on Sunday and missed the storm. Then Jackie flew home the next day and  then  the storm hit. Their flight over the ocean was a bit bumpy.



 My son Vaughan greeting his sister Jackie, welcome back home.

In Ottawa, my daughter Christine said  snow drift was half way up her front door and the car was half buried in the snow. It was cold so the snow was light and drifty. Here the wind blew and snow was so heavy as the temperature rose, making it difficult to walk to the barn in the early hours of the morning.


     Lightning McQueen, Daniel's favorite race car


My grandson Daniel celebrated his 4th birthday  with his favorite car cake that his mom  ( Christine) made from scratch. The cake disappeared quickly.  He had a birthday party in town but mom was so busy, I didn't get any pictures but we understand " busy ". He had lots of fun and presents.


            Did you ever had a  box of HAPPY  delivered to you?

Sometimes last week I received a request for my mailing address from Jilda, a Yoga teacher  blogger friend of mine  from the blog TRANSFORMATION  INFORMATION and we've been keeping in touch by email once in a while.  She said she wanted to send me a box of Happy.  I expected a small package  like a book, maybe.  It's not unusual as I have received some books from blogger friends in the past.


As you can see it was inspected by custom. Can you imagine my surprise at the size of the box? My jaw dropped as I received it from the UPS delivery man as I could plainly see Jilda's name on the  package.
 I opened the package and my jaw dropped down almost to the floor again when I saw what was inside.


A floor length faux fur coat and a card. Can you believe the custom inspector also opened the card. The coat fits me to a T.  Jilda has been complaining they didn't get winter in Alabama, just a sprinkle of snow so I guess she no longer needed a fur coat. Thank you so much Jilda for your thoughtfulness. I guess she got tired of me complaining about all the cold we got this winter...

This is the second fur coat I got within a week can you believe?



Last weekend I went to the Salvation Army Thrift store to look for a barn jacket because one of my heifers grabbed the front of my jacket in her mouth and yanked my zipper off and it was beyond repair so I had to pin my jacket shut with big safety pins looking like a complete idiot.  I'm still wearing that jacket and I still look like an idiot with my black tuque and pinned jacket....hehe.

I didn't found a suitable jacket but I found a new pair of tan colored jeans for $7.99 and figured that my trip to the thrift shop hadn't been in vain. As I rounded the corner I spotted a street length mink fur coat on a hanger for $19.99.  It had a rip in the sleeve but I  picked it up anyway.  I had a coupon for $10.00 off on a purchase of at least $25.00  from a clothing donation I had given earlier this winter.
So I got that real mink fur coat for $9.99.

I had been looking for one a few years ago to make fur teddy bears but one woman saw it at the same time as me and she ran to it before me. The only one fur coat I could get was black mutton and I made one fully jointed teddy bear and gave it to a little girl who was visiting from California. Life got busy and I put my teddy bear supplies away.
Hopefully Spring is on it's way soon but in the mean time stay warm and safe.
Thanks for leaving a comment to let me know you were here. I really appreciate your visit.
Hugs,
Julia


16 comments:

  1. Hi Julia,
    You had quite the week!! So happy your children missed the worst of the storm and can't believe how much snow there was!! The photo of your son and daughter is wonderful and you can see the love in their expressions!
    That cake is amazing and must have been a hit for your grandson Daniel!! What a wonderful gift from your blogger friend!!! To think you got 2 fur coats in one week!!!! What a great find for you, as well as a great bargain!!
    Hope Spring shows up soon for you!! We are actually on the opposite end of the temperature spectrum as we reached 92 degrees today!!! Wish I could send you a box with some in it!!!!! Sending lots of Sunshine Hugs instead!!!
    Big Heart Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. your week was a good one your smiling children, warm coats and a birthday. Spring can't be far for sure
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some girls never even have one fur coat ...and you have two! Hope Spring finds you soon. It has been so warm here, and then yesterday we were wearing sweaters and turtlenecks! Love the car cake...can't believe Daniel is four! Think of you often...so happy to see you blogging.
    Robyn xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! You'll look cozy in that coat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Julia, that's wonderful. Such a beautiful gesture. It's the it amazing the connections our little blogs have made around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Happy box.

    The cake is wonderful. My boys were fans of Cars too.

    Happy Birthday to your sweet little one.

    Have a great weekend,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julia, I love your coats. I have a faux fur from Value Village that I wear around the property because it is so warm. Such deals to be had at these places. Yes it has been very cold and lately snowy this winter. I am more than ready for a break. Nice to read all your news!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful friend to send you that pretty coat. I am so glad the girls got back safely. I bet its been cold. March is always like that. We have had spring and now we go back to winter for awhile. There goes my blooms. :)
    How nice you found that fur coat too. My coat that I wear is pinned and so worn out and is 21 years old but its my farm coat and I don't know if I will every find another one.
    So nice to get caught up with you,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe Daniel is 4 already.
    Fun coats! How nice to receive one in the mail. Blog friends are the best!
    Hope spring finds you soon.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  10. No more cold weather complaints from you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely 'Happy' Julia! It warmed my heart that you now have lovely fur coats but you make me laugh that you still wear your barn coat with pins! And the toque - how Canadian! lol Christine did a wonderful job on the car cake & it's a good thing that she took the photo, I could see the kids racing for a piece of that cake!
    I hope we don't get the bad weather, they're not sure which way it's going. I'm hoping out to sea! Ontario has had some bad & strange weather this year. I'm so happy to have a garage, for the 1st time in my life!
    Spring is really coming, I see the ground & soon this winter will be behind us & spring is just in front of us!!
    Stay safe & warm, those cows would scare me. If one ever grabbed me, I'd be having adrenal rushes. Your brave, stay safe.
    Hugs,
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a long winter for you guys, but how wonderful having not one but two fur coats to keep you warm. I'll go check out Jilda's blog it's always fun to read about and meet new people. That a very sweet picture of your son and daughter you have good looking children Julia. Now that cake is as fast as that car if it disappeared that quickly - what a work of art!!! You continually amaze me how you work with your cows. I bet they just love you!! I always enjoy reading your post. Have a good weekend and enjoy wrapping up in all that fur!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am playing catch up! I am finally taking two antibiotics and a couple of breathing RX. I think that is wonderful that you were gifted a lovely coat! You get cold up there in the Tundra! If you ever take bunny orders, let me know! Or cats!! That cake looks so cute...and good, too! I cannot believe the boys are growing so fast. How is your newest baby? You can see the family resemblance in all of your family members. I think that is a beautiful thing, my dear friend. HUGS. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad your girls returned home safely. You must be thinking much about Nicole so much more, at the moment- though I am sure she is never far from your thoughts. Sending you hugs.
    That fur coat is gorgeous and I hope it keeps you warm. Great you also got the mink on offer too.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Weather keeps us on our toes! In California it seems too hot once it gets nearer to summer. I am so glad you can get warmer with some nice coats.hugs cheri

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perhaps you are looking for a handsome oak beam coffee table to lend gravitas to your furnishings? Or maybe you’re looking for a fetching oak side table on which to place your beloved novelty mug... or a stylish oak lamp table to help illuminate your favourite book?
    Oak block side table

    ReplyDelete