RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Monday, June 29, 2020

THE IMPORTANCE OF APPRECIATIONS

I'm not one who looks for appreciation because it's just the way I am but it's important to show appreciation... I don't do things and say things to be appreciated but because it is the right thing to do,  to me only the truth matters because God is truth.  So on this foundation, I can appreciate when someone recognizes the contribution I make based on this truth. The only reason I'm back at singing at our church is that on Christmas eve, our choir director suddenly quit without notice. This left us with no one to direct music and no choir.

 Sadly, the next day, on Christmas day, one of our old friends, Lee,  died of a heart attack after the Christmas family dinner.  Years ago,  I sang at his second wedding after his first wife died from an aggressive form of cancer.  This was before I lost my singing voice to a thyroid tumor.
 I was much younger then. Lately, Lee's health had been declining and in mid-October, he asked me to sing at his funeral.  I was shocked but said, of course, I would but I would have to talk to the choir director first.
 I said that I would sing for him because he was a friend but I wasn't sure how it would go with the choir director since I had not been singing in the choir for a very long time.   I had no idea how bad Lee's health was, but I was going to approach the choir director to tell him of his request.  I never did approach the choir director because I was sure that Lee would still be around for much longer. 

Having no choir or music director on Christmas day left us in a bind.  Years ago,  and I mean years ago, like in 2000, I used to be a cantor and sang solos at weddings and funerals and lead our choir with the help of a skillful music director and organist, but since my thyroid operation for thyroid tumor, I stop singing in public since I lost my singing voice for two whole years.

It slowly came back but it was painful and labored and no longer enjoyable.  I persevered and little by little, my voice came back although not as strong as it once was but still I an holding a tune at over 73 years old.

So since the end of December, I've been thrust into preparing the liturgical music leading the choir at our church although I feel so inadequate.  I gathered some volunteers for choir and we did the best we could until Covid-19 reared its ugly head and the church was closed. As we slowly reopened, I was allowed to sing by myself with no choir because of social distancing and so it will be until we can safely gather again together without distancing.

I have plenty to do at home to keep me busy and I don't need recognition but today I received a special hand made card that brought tears to my eyes.  After mass this evening, a parishioner came up to me and presented me with this beautiful homemade card. I know, she must have spent a lot of time to put this beautiful card together.  She is so talented. I know my blogger friend  Kezzy from the UK will appreciate it as she also makes beautiful homemade cards.



This was the envelope with my name on it.



The front of the card was also so special and beautiful.






But the message inside is what brought tears to my eyes.



This was the back of the card, just as beautiful.


And inside the card was another card with this cute little bird.
I'm sure this little bird can sing much better than I can in my old age. Thanks so much for your affirmation Glendine.  I appreciate you so much.

Talents are given to us freely to share freely to make the world a better place. Share your talent freely... otherwise, they will deteriorate.

Have a safe and happy week.

Hugs, Julia

20 comments:

  1. What a beautiful card! Am so glad you are able to sing again. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful card for a beautiful person. If my life depended on it, I could not carry a tune.
    I'm sure there are many at your church who appreciate you taking over!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a truly beautiful card of appreciation. Reading those heartfelt words made my eyes leak a little.
    I am very sure you will treasure it - and equally sure that it is deserved. And was needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Julia, that is wonderful! What a beautiful, beautiful card, envelope and inside card. They really are wonderfully made and I am glad that you realise the impact of your contribution on the congregation. I am glad your voice has returned and God has given you this chance to share and help out at a crucial time when the Choir Director left and Lee died.
    The cards really are immaculately made- your friend is really clever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely card it is so nice to be appreciated for our talents.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Julia,
    A lovely card and lovely words of gratitude.
    I also enjoyed the story of how you persevered and you are singing again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have always had a beautiful voice Mom. I'm glad you are sharing it again.
    I remember asking you to sing at Joe's mother's funeral in 2009, and you graciously said yes. You sang the Ave Maria so beautifully, and with a pianist you met only a few minutes before the service. I remember the whole congregation turned to look up in the choir to see who was singing and feeling so proud of you. It had been the first time you sang in front of others since your operation. Your voice was not as strong as it once was, but it was still clear and beautiful. Afterwards, you told me that you were singing for your mother as well.
    Thank you again for sharing your beautiful gift. It is truly uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your affirmations Christine and I'm also so proud of you.
    Big hugs, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. I envy those that can sing because it's such a lovely gift that can be shared and make one smile, cry, think back on a memory, laugh, uplift, and so important to the soul! I'm glad you're able to sing again and share your talent. That card is fabulous...and a talent that your friend shared to you. How wonderful. Our Church will start having meetings again in another week but only allowing 25 to start. I'm so over this whole virus mess. Have a good week and sing your heart out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that card! Our church is going back to normal next week. I think its good everyone gets some kind of appreciation. It costs us nothing and yet builds people up. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are the things that touch us and mean so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful and yes I do believe that appreciation is a must . It motivates us at any time

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful, happy story! Thanks so much for sharing with us! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Julia,
    I am so very happy for you that you were shown some appreciation by someone who was so blessed by your gifts!! It seems that rarely happens and yet it is so important for all of us, both the giver and the receiver!! We are surrounded by so much negative and need to counteract it with more positive!! Keep letting your light shine, my friend!!! I am reminded of a song I learned as a young girl at church called, Brighten The Corner Where You Are!!! You definitely are doing that!!! Thank you for sharing!!!
    Hope you and yours have a wonderful weekend, my friend!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very beautiful and touching post . I wish you good health and peace

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I did a blog post on the Bloggers Art Gallery with an updated list of partipants with hyperlinks and a poster that you are free to use! Please come and have a look to check out final details. Just wanted to let you know! Looking forward to seeing your post on Tuesday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like the stance of the cute little bird (and the wordings)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful and touching cards. The thought behind them is wonderful. The message comes from the heart and I can see why it touched you.
    Thyroid operation is very hard on the vocal cords. It must be difficult for you, wanting to sing for your friend but having practical obstacles. I quit choir when I was a teen and haven't sang since. During my heart operation as a child, the doctors cut the nerve on one of my local cords. I've spoken with one vocal cord all my life but only realized it as a teen. I had an operation of my vocal cords in 2017, but it didn't help. I have adapted somehow. I teach English and use my voice professionally but singing is something I don't even attempt. It is too painful and anyhow I'm not particularly talented so there is no need for me to insist. I do agree with what you said, our talents are something we should share with the world as they make others feel happy and/or blessed.

    ReplyDelete