RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Thursday, March 9, 2017

MY LITTLE TOWN

After my daughter Nicole passed away last fall, I felt out of sort. I still had to work at the farm but I needed something to keep my mind off my sorrow and my hands busy after work while the snow was flying.
I contacted Sunnie Andress who is a Folk Art Artist  who hooks beautiful folksy whimsical rugs.  I knew that rug hooking was therapeutic and asked her if she would start another rug challenge with our  Great Stash Deworming Marathon group on Rug Hooking Daily. She was busy settling in her new place but kindly agreed to start a new rug challenge for our group after Christmas.

She did and named it Inside, Outside, All Around the Town. This theme was free to be interpreted as per our creativity. It's amazing at how everyone interpret this theme.
I was anxious to start pulling worms so I quickly drew my design and started hooking that afternoon.
We were suppose to hook with as much left over worms as possible  and only cut wool if we absolutely needed to as some of us have been making a lot of rugs with left over worms and our stash is running low, especially mine.

Here is my challenge rug that still needs it's edges finished.  It measures 27  3/4'' x 18''.  I called it My Little Town. I only cut wool strips for the sky, clouds, 1/3 of the dark border and a bit of the glass for window and a bit of black for outline. The rest was entirely hooked with leftover.
I had named the buildings but it was impossible to hook the letters in such a small space so only the school got named. The challenge is over on March 31.  I'm anxious to see all the rugs members came up with. Some are already posted on our group forum.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
Julia


21 comments:

  1. Julia,
    So good to hear from you.
    Your rug is WONDERFUL!!! You are one talented hooker.
    xoxo
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful rug, Julia. You are so talented! Happy to see you blogging again and hoping Spring will be coming your way very soon. Take good care.
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julia,
    What a lovely rug, my friend! You were able to use up a good amount of wool worms, as well as find healing and peace, while you enjoyed this challenge! It turned out so folky and wonderful!! It will be fun to see how others hooked their rugs as well!!
    Hope you are getting some glimpses of spring!
    Heart Hugs to you~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Julia, that is a beautiful rug!!! I love everything about it. You are such a great rug hooker. I love the colors and I love the design.
    Its just perfect. I am so glad you did it. I always think that keeping my hands busy is what heals my heart. Thank you so much for sharing Julia. I love seeing your rugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!!! I love the colors, the buildings and the flowers!!! I also like how you have the birds flying in the sky.
    Beautiful!!! Beautiful!!! Beautiful!!!
    Love, Carla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julia, I love it! Just like your childhood memories rug (still one of my favourites). I'm glad you found an outlet to help you cope and occupy your mind and hands.
    Hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Julia! I love this! You are so wise and talented. This was a wonderful way to channel your emotions. It is beautiful, as are all of your rugs. You are so special. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful rug! Reminds me of a Summer day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy to find your posts today, Julia. I've been away for awhile tending to my husband who has been ill. I think of you often though, even if I don't post. Love your new rug! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I don't have your email address to contact you but I wanted to say thanks and I'm so sorry that your husband is ill. I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs, Julia

      Delete
  10. I can't tell you how much I love this rug. I hope it will go on your wall. It's just magnificent. I'm glad you thought to revive your creatvity in the midst of your sorrow. I feel so much better now that I'm getting in touch with mine again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Julia! I love,this rug! Great job on it! Thanks for,sharing it and the story behind it.

    By the way....thanks for commenting on my blog. I have googled it, now I'm going to,youmtube it to see if I can find out how to,post and post pictur s from my iPad. If that fails....get there's always,the,grandkids to come to,the rescue! LOL!

    Char

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your rug is beautiful Julia, so much detail in the buildings, I have a hard time fitting in the window panes. Yours are great! And what a nice feeling using up worms that would have just sat stale. You brought the town to life!
    Your hooking is a big part of your creativity & your heart. I'm glad you found an outlet to help you heal your
    emotions with the sad loss of Nicole, that you have experienced. Your rug design is wonderful as are the colours. I look at it and smile, you should too! Good work, your heart was in it. I loved the look & feel of summer throughout the town theme! The floral border is a nice touch too! Oh summer, bring it on! It's so cold these days & the wind just howls. Thanks for the glimpse into summer.
    Hugs,
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Julia, this is beautiful! I adored the rug you hooked of your grandfather and this one is also fantastic. I am slightly confused- did you do ALL of this or did your friend do some of it too?
    Sending you hugs.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kezzie, I made this myself and each one in the group designed their own interpretations of the theme. Some took the literal meaning of inside, outside, all around the town and other hooked something that had nothing with a town. I find it so amazing how people think differently and work differently.
      Hugs,
      Julia

      Delete
  14. Oh Julia your rug is perfect!! You always amaze me how detailed you can get your rugs. Love the birds and clouds!! Nicely done you are so talented!

    Have a good week
    Saimi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Julia, your rug is stunning! I'm so sorry about your daughter. God be with you as you continue to grieve.
    YOU are a kind soul.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Creating is so therapeutic. Blessing those life-giving hands of yours, Julia, and the big mama heart that still grieves for her girl. It takes it's own time, grieving. Holding you close to heart as you go at your own pace and thrive in your life-living along the way.
    And look at what beauty you've birthed. Amazing. That's an heirloom. A rug with a story to tell. I love your storytelling ways:)

    The biggest of hugs,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Julia,I can't believe I spelled bare wrong . I spelled it like a bear. I had a senior moment. What I was trying to say was what a beautiful rug!
    I also feel that life is so bitter sweet and sometimes it seems like our life is harder to bare then a person should have to experience in one lifetime. Cheri

    ReplyDelete