RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Saturday, October 19, 2019

ON TO THE THIRD BABY BLANKET

Just a quick post this evening...
The big Maple tree in the front yard is bare already and we lost a lot of the beautiful foliage during the big rain and wind storm. We were lucky that the storm wasn't too bad here.
While the rain battered on the windows, I've made myself comfortable in my Lazy-Boy rocker recliner and crocheted away the hours. I'm on my third baby blanket.

There was a second funeral this week. A second cousin of my husband was killed in a lumber mill accident. He was pulled into a wood chipper. He was 50 years old and had a wife and a 12-year-old daughter. He lost his brother to cancer about 5 years ago. This poor family has had a lot of sadness to bear.

On a happier note, Michael's had a big sale on and had a 55% off on one item so I purchased a yarn winder because last evening one of the yarn I was working with got tangled when both ends came together somehow. I also was very lucky to find a skein of the same dye lot, light green yarn to finish my second baby blanket.



Here are the yarn winder and the ball of baby yarn I made with it.  The winder is clamped to the tabletop and I turn the crank to make a ball. It's a lot faster than doing it by hand.



Here is the third baby blanket. It's a shell pattern and very easy to do.  Obviously, this one will be for a baby girl. I'm enjoying working on this pattern and find it easier than the first pattern and will finish it before returning to the previous blanket.

I wish you all a great week and I hope that the sunshine finds you wherever you are.
Thanks for visiting my blog and please leave a comment.
Hugs, Julia

20 comments:

  1. How sad for you husband's cousin. So love your pink baby afghan. I was hooking today on another house I drew out. I use to crochet lors. Yours is just wonderful! JAnice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pulled into a wood chipper? How horrendous!! Your baby blanket is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your family's loss. So sad. I think your blankets are beautiful and I'm glad you have the time to do them! I'm also happy the storm wasn't as bad as some friends of ours in Maine. They just got power back on today. I hope you have a good week..I'm off to visit family in Chicago tomorrow. At least I'll have something to blog about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to read of your husband's second cousin's family tragedy.
    I love your blanket and the winder and am glad that the strom didn't hit you too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a horrible tragedy!
    Your baby blankets are darling just right for keeping them warm this winter. OH we had lots of wind and rain but glad you were tucked in, in your recliner
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a devastating tragedy to have to suffer through! Hugs and prayers to the family!
    Your baby blankets are looking so soft and cozy! Sure to be making some babies early days in life safe and comfortable! Gotta love those yarn winders! Turning a skein into a ball also helps with yarn breaks....I had bought some yarn on sale one time and it was very frustrating to have to stop crocheting to mend the break....kinda take away from the relaxing "zone" of crocheting.
    Happy Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a terrible tragedy. My heart aches for you and your family. Your shell blanket is so lovely! It looks so nice and soft and snuggly. Aren't yarn winders a great invention?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet Julia I am so sorry to hear about the death of the cousin...so sad. The baby blanket is pretty, There will be precious little ones snuggled up in and keeping warm in those special blankets. I am glad you had no storm damage and enjoyed your recliner and crocheting while the rain came down. Love and hugs to you sweet Julia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so sorry about you family loss...

    # Your blanket looks great

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a devastating tragedy. Prayers for you and all the family.
    Such a sweet little baby blanket and such an act of generosity.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, I'm so sorry to hear of the tragic loss in the family. I'm sure it's devastating for them. Thoughts and prayers for all who loved him.
    The baby blanket looks so soft and inviting!! I keep thinking that someday I will learn more than a simple stitch. I find it difficult to read a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you have certain babies in mind for these blankets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KB, those baby blankets will go to Heiti. There is so much poverty there. It makes me feel good to have the privilege to do this. I enjoy crocheting.

      Delete
  13. The woolwinder is a great invention! I think your blanket looks so lovely so far with that pretty shell pattern! What a dreadful accident that man died in! It's horrible, poor family I am very sorry for their loss. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello,
    I am sending prayers. Goodness, such sadness. Many prayers for the family and friends.
    The blanket is lovely.
    Stay cozy.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Julia, Thought I'd pop in for a visit to see what you've been up too. Sorry for the loss of your cousin & the woodchipper accident, how tragic. Death has been around me too & it does knock the you down.
    On the up note, I've always wanted a winder for my Briggs & Little yarns, I still place between my knees as an elder once taught me. Your baby blankets are lovely! And will be much appreciated when wrapped around the babies. Bless you!
    Where did our summer go?! We're getting ready for the winter now setting the plow markers in place before the ground freezes up. I too am working on a granny square blanket. It does cozy the nights in as they come so soon now. Take care, love seeing your lovely crotcheting!And those raisin scones...Mmmmm
    Hugs, Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Julia,
    I am so very sorry to read about your family tragedy!! What a terrible accident! May God bring comfort to them!!
    Love the idea of the yarn winder and I'm sure it really helps you with making these wonderful baby blankets!!
    Take care and hope you have a good week!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looking forward to you blogging soon!x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Julia, my heart is breaking for that poor family, what a horrible accident. They'll be in my prayers for sure! Your crochet work is amazing that baby blanket looks so soft and cozy. What ever baby receives that blanket is gonna be one lucky baby!! Love the winder, what a genus idea!! Speaking of Crocheting when I was pregnant with my third child and after having two boys everyone was just certain that third baby was going to be a girl. My husbands grandma crocheted two really adorable baby items, one pink dress and the other a sweet light green sweater. Well that third baby of mine came out a boy. I've held on to those handmade items and I'm so glad I did. My youngest son and his wife are now expecting a baby GIRL. I get to pass on his great grandmas handy work that was intended for him and his baby will be wearing her great, great grandmas Crocheted dress and sweater!! I can't wait to give it to them.

    ReplyDelete