RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

CHRISTMAS IN JULY 25, 2017

I'm going back in time here but I wanted to keep a record of our family gathering. Life has been a bit busy for me lately and I'm still playing catch up.

We always celebrate Christmas at Christmas time but this year we tried something new, we celebrated Christmas in July.  We will probably still celebrate Christmas on the 25th of December as it's Jesus' birthday ...

No we haven't lost our mind or got our date mixed up. You see July 25th is Nicole's birthday and it just happened that the family was all together to celebrate and we even played the traditional present game after a big family meal.  After all she was the one who introduced it to the family and it's a fun tradition.









Christine got all the presents for the game over a period of time as she went shopping, she would pick  up some and added to the pile. I think that she wrapped over 50 presents by herself... There was a big pile.  She did this because her and her family will be celebrating Christmas in Ottawa this year and won't be coming home for Christmas as travelling in the winter with small kids can be very long and tiresome drive  flying a family at Christmas is not much fun anymore...


Isn't this a gorgeous smile and the cupcakes are lovely too.

Christine even made a dark chocolate zucchini cake batter and made small and medium cupcakes and made some ganuche icing, oh so moist and yummy.  My son in law Bill,  made his famous Chicken Fettuccine with Sun Dried Tomatoes and my daughter Jackie made her famous toss salad with home made dressing and she also made an appetizer of baked Brie and it was to die for.  I provided the wine and did nothing else since I was working at the farm.

Vaughan was milking and George was baling hay. Since I was a bit late with 7 new born calves to bootle feed plus all the others and  having to shower before the meal, I had no time to take pictures of the meal but take my word for it, it was very delicious and enjoyed by all...


Aren't those most amazing fork jewellery that Jordyn got! She had picked it up at an earlier date and was wearing it in honour of Nicole... unfortunately she left before I could take picture of Cypress and Willow.



Remember the shipment of 17 boxes from Scotland of Nicole's things, the rest of her belonging stayed in Scotland and given away to charity with her mask collection to be donated and shipped to The University Of New Brunswick Anthropology Department.

We toasted our  Nicole with a wee dram of 12 years old scotch whisky again  and after we went upstairs to distribute the rest of her belongings amongst family members.  It was done with the upmost respect for her things and when asked who wants this, someone would say, I want it if no one else wants it. There was no greed.  Of course we all pretty well know each other's taste and everyone would say it's yours, take it. There was jewellery, home decorations, souvenirs from places she visited, and lots of decorative and interesting items she picked up on her many travels to so many countries, clothing, tons of photos,  postcards, and too many things to name here.  It has taken days to organize and there is still lots of belonging to divide or to donate at a later date. It all went so smoothly and everyone got a little piece of Nicole to cherish.

This week Nicole's tombstone was finally installed in the cemetery.  May she rest in peace,
Thanks for your visit and know that I enjoy reading you comments.
Hugs, Julia



  

22 comments:

  1. Oh Julia I am sure your sweet daughter would love the idea of celebrating on her birthday. So nice you have family to give you comfort and peace.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea to celebrate her birthday as it was probably celebrated when she entered the world...with much love, smiles, and family. I'm sure she's smiling above knowing she'll always be remembered and cherished and her family members have a little of her spirit to take with them. Hugs to you dear Julia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julia,
    What a beautiful way to celebrate your beloved daughter Nicole!!! Such a lovely tribute and such a special new tradition!!! I'm sure you all were able to find peace and comfort is sharing those things that were part of her life!! Thank you for sharing her life with us!!
    Sending BIG HUGS to you, dear friend~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh sweet Julia,
    I know Nicole was smiling down on you and all your family. What a beautiful celebration.
    Big hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the post and I love the fact that you celebrate Christmas and Nicole's birthday together. It's a very special day. You work so hard to keep things going. It's just a shame that you didn't get any of the meal together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How special. Your family is dear and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julia, this is so special. I love this post. Your family is inspiring. The love and respect is so obvious in everything that you do. I am sure that Nicole was with you all and loved it, too. Donating the masks is a great idea. It is very appropriate for Nicole and her legacy of education. Thank you for sharing this important celebration. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Julia this is such a beautiful post. I think that is a wonderful idea and time to celebrate. Nicole was loved. Sending my love and hugs. B

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad your family could celebrate together, no matter what the date. Nicole's birthday seems fitting, for sure! And what a nice way to remember her, by everyone getting a chance to choose some of her things! Hugs to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful idea and a beautiful celebration! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely family photos!
    I`m following your blog with a great pleasure with GFC
    Please follow me back - Sunny Eri: beauty experience

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a loving tribute to Nicole Julia. I am so glad it went like that and all of you could be together to remember her birthday. It speaks volumes about your family. I am so glad you had such a nice time. I love all of your pictures and it makes me feel very happy for you. You have such a dear family. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello,
    A very special time to celebrate Nicole. I am so happy your family had the special time and could be together to take care of her treasures and pass them on.
    Prayers to you all,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Julia. I have to pause here for a moment just to sit in awe of the wonder of your life. Wow - so much love in what you've built with that family and farm. So much love it's just raw with beauty.
    Thank you for sharing - it's an honor to sit in your space for a moment and savor.

    Sooooo much love and comfort to you as you continue to build and be the amazingness that you are.
    - Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  15. How wonderful your family could be together and celebrate Nicole.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Julia, this was such a special time for your family to celebrate Nicole. I am sure she would be very proud and happy to have been a part of such a loving and sweet family....Hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
  17. The title of this post got me really interested. I think it is very true that when we have our family together it does feel like Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello lovely Julia! Once again, I am back from travels with my blog pretending I am at home! I was at Music Camp since the 11th and the data reception there is absolutely absymal!
    It was lovely to read of your July Christmas and I am sure Nicole would be smiling to see you! Wow, Christine is dedicated wrapping all 50 presents. The fork jewellery is amazing- I have a bracelet which I picked up at a village fete which is also a fork and it is so clever! I hope the calves are well- so many to look after!
    The food, though not pictured, makes my mouth water by description of its deliciousness.
    I am glad that Nicole's belongings are going to have happy, appreciative homes. I hope that it wasn't too hard for you. The whiskey seems so appropriate for your Scottish-dwelling daughter! God bless her, you and all your lovely family. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. That will be a Christmas in July that you & the family will have in their fond memories as you heal from the loss of Nicole. Christmas has a such a warm feeling & how lovely for you & your family, to experience it in July!
    And more calves! You're always so busy Julia. Farm life is not for the weak of heart, that is for sure!
    It's good that Nicole is home for you & her things have been shared. A warm whiskey toast, can be done for that beautiful soul, you love so much. She is truly blessed, as are you! You are a wonderful person to know via the blog world. Take care Julia & enjoy what is left of summer. Your next Christmas will be here in four months!
    Hugs,
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  20. No matter the holiday its so nice having everyone together! How fun for all of you to not only celebrate a birthday but Christmas as well, everything looks so wonderful and fun, as the smiles certainly confirmed it. You are such a hard working person I'm sure your family is so proud of you and admires the strong woman that you are. I'm sure Nicole was smiling down as you all shared her belongings.
    Have a great week Julia!
    Hugs,
    Saimi

    ReplyDelete
  21. Julia your words always touch my heart so much. As a mother we are the backbone of our families. I have never met a Christian woman that is taken out of the Bible like you! Julia even though your heart is grieving you go on with your loving spirit! My daughter Megan was an archeologist
    Before she got ill with MS. I bet she would have been awed by Nicole's masks. Nicole was lucky to have you as a mom. She was a amazing person! You bring her alive to all of us with your words. Hugs cheri Prayers always for your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great idea and wonderful way to remember your sweet Nicole sweet Julia. I really enjoyed the pictures and reading this post. The pictures depict a very nice and fun family gathering. Yes, that is a beautiful smile and those cupcakes look yummy. You have a lovely family and sweet Julia you are beautiful inside and out. Love and hugs dear friend.

    ReplyDelete