RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Friday, March 1, 2019

A WEEK OF LOSS AND GAIN

The last week of February, in a nutshell.



We celebrated our 53rd Wedding Anniversary and I made a carrot cake for us and one for the church. I help serving tea at pancake supper which was a week before Shrove Tuesday. It was well attended despite the bitter cold and blowing wind.

We attended the funeral mass for a dear friend who lost her fight to cancer at age 56. We lost another dear friend after he fell and broke his hip in his home. He went through surgery and because of medical complications, he died several days after.


I babysat my great grandkids while their mom and dad went to the hospital for the birth of their new little sister. Here miss W. setting up the track by herself. I had a lot of fun playing with the kids but by night I was all tuckered out. My son Vaughan took over for me for the overnight babysitting.


Big brother is enjoying an ice cream cone at the table.  He's so well mannered.



Then the new little sister arrived.
I couldn't take a great photo of our new little great granddaughter in the bassinette. She came earlier than her due date because it was deemed safer for both mom and baby.  She weighs in at 6lb 5oz.


The happy big brother wanted to hold her while his sister is content to sit close to mom.


Can you see that big smile? He was over the moon with the new baby sister.
I asked him if his heart was getting bigger and he said "Oh yeah"


Here is the happy family.
The last picture before I left the hospital. Sorry about the poor quality of the photographs. I had forgotten my camera and used my cell phone. My hands are not very steady.

We had extremely fluctuating temperatures during February, warm days and very cold days, lots of snow, wind and blowing snow, frozen pipe, and hoses at the barn but also we got lots of sunshine which made thing a little bit easier to bear.

Welcome, March. Only 19 days to Spring. Thanks for your comments, they are very appreciated.
Hugs, Julia





19 comments:

  1. Hi, Julia! Congratulations on the new ggranddaughter! Beautiful
    children, all. I have been notivcing for awhile that you need to update your intro. It's been awhile since you had one great grandchild! I do appreciate your blog, and you yourself for the fine human being you are. Rose in TX.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to all! Beautiful baby and her siblings are precious, too. Looks like one big happy family. Hope you will be warming up soon. I'm hoping we will have a few more cooler day before the heat hits.
    Take care and a big hug,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What sadness and happiness. congratulations on the new great grand daughter. Happy Anniversary
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the new great grand. What a beautiful family ❤️
    So sorry about the loss of your friends. So hard to bear.
    Happy Anniversary. May you be blessed with many more.
    xoxo
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary! Congrats on that beautiful new Great-Granddaughter! Such happy news but I'm sorry you had to say good-bye to a friend at such an early age. Spring will arrive but, like you, we still have some winter left in us. Snow on Sunday..I'm ready for some warmth! Your cakes look amazing and I can see why an event where you're baking is well attended! Have a good weekend and enjoy your new addition to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love getting new children in the family. I have a niece and a great niece who are both due at the same time. We are excited.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cycle of life and death...goodbye to friends and welcome little one. I keep telling myself we none of us live forever...even the universe. My older sister has decided to live her life out without cancer treatment. Says she lived a long happy life and she doesn't want the end of her life to be in la la land with chemo, radiation, surgeries. She just wants to eat well, go about her day as normal as possible. She has now gotten to the point he can no longer live alone so her son moved her to his house. We visit each week if she's up to it. I hope I'm as brave as my sister when the time comes.

    BTW the carrot cake looks delicious. Lovely family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 19 days til spring as I look out the window and see snow falling. Will it ever end?? Now lets talk about that darling sweet baby sister! Oh my goodness she's perfect and beautiful. I'm glad mama and baby are doing well and by the looks of big bother, he's in heaven! Congratulations to everyone!!!! Happy Anniversary to you and your husband, 53 years is really something to celebrate and you sure did it up right with that delicious looking carrot cake. Sorry to hear about your friends, so very tragic for both of them.
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend Julia!
    X0X0
    Saimi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a sweet family. What a lovely new grand daughter. What is her name. I don't remember if I told you congrats on your anniversary or not. 53 years is awesome Julia. Lots of sweet things going on. You are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those cakes look delicious sweet Julia. Happy 53rd Anniversary to you and George! So sorry about your friends. Congratulations that new little one is adorable. What a wonderful family you have sweet Julia. Hoping we see spring weather comes with the arrival of spring. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations dear Julia on your new relative! What a beauty. Big Brother is very handsome too! What a proud sibling! What a sweetie. Your cake looks excellent!
    I had to laugh when you told me you'd made a carrot cake after my eclair comments! It does look amazing even though I am not so fond of Carrot cake!!
    Sorry to hear about the friends who died.x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary!!! That carrot cake looks yummy! :-) Love the pics of the new little one and a happy family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy 53rd Wedding Anniversary to you & George! Your cakes look delious & I bet they were!
    Sorry to hear of the sorrow of your friends passing. Your days have been filled up ups & downs & yes spring is just around the corner to lift your spirits!
    Congrations on your expanding family with the beautiful great-granddaughter, her brother looks so proud & happy.
    We've been digging out here in the NE side & bracing for another storm tomorrow.
    I too am looking forward to spring & the ability to see out my mainfloor windows again!
    Take care Julia.
    Hugs,
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Julia,
    Congratulations on the new baby!!
    We are cold, cold, cold! -21 degrees March 4th with a -35 windchill.
    Think Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  15. awesome...congrats on your anniversary of 53 years and congratulation on new family member.

    have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry about the loss of your friends. That is so hard. Hip fractures are so tough on anyone. And cancer....ugh. I wish we could find a cure.

    Congrats on the anniversary. That is so amazing. Your cakes look delicious.

    Congrats on the new baby, so beautiful. That looks like a very happy family.

    Hopefully your Spring will be here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations Julia on a beautiful great granddaughter! My gosh time goes so fast! Seems like yesterday your grand babe James was born! How many grand babes now? Great grandbabes? Congrats!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw! What a lovely baby girl!
    I hope it warms up soon!

    ReplyDelete