RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Home Alone

The wedding is over and the girls are at the cottage  catching up with each other and relaxing. I'm using this solitude time to spend more time on the computer. I just found out on the web ( since I don't get the newspaper) that a photo taken by renowned  photographer, Stephen MacGillivary, of  my son and his cow # 273  won him an award against two other newspapers. The photo was taken shortly after our dairy barn  collapsed on January 31, 2009, trapping 70 heads of cattle under a heavy load of snow.  I knew that Stephen was in the running for an award  in May but never even thought about it until now when I slowed down and checked his site.

His award winning  photo of my son and his licking cow can be seen at the following link. http://www.atwphoto.com/CowLick.htm

You can click on the link under the flower bed photo on the right side of the blog.  JB

2 comments:

  1. How neat is that picture! I imagine it's pretty rare happening - to have a huge cow kiss you! I enjoy reading your entries. I thought you lived in Florida - I must be confused - it doesn't snow enough there to collapse roofs, I'm pretty sure. I looked back on the RHD and see that I was mistaken. I have no idea where I got that idea. I'm getting a little discouraged or disenchanted with the rug I'm working on - the one I'm using my ebay strips on. Some of them are not good at all, they pull apart like they are dry-rotted, the dye flakes off like a sanded surface. I surely don't want to put the good wool I ordered in with that. I'm debating whether to quit the rug, just can't decide. See you later. /deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb, I'm Canadian and live in Fredericton, New Brunswick.
    New Brunswick is one of the Atlantic provinces and we are situated on the east side of Canada. Fredericton is the Capital.

    So sorry that your wool strips are not working well. I hope that you did not spent a lot of money for this wool.

    I find that the best type of wool fabric for hooking are the felted type. I use the word felted lightly here for the lack of a better word. The wool is not really felted but the fibers are overlapping each other and prevent the fabric from fraying, sort of like flannelette. Worsted wool is not so great for rug hooking when used for narrower cuts as the fray a lot but can be used with wider cuts. You often see worsted wool in tartan skirts fabrics. When you find a kind of wool fabric that doesn't fray and is just the right weight and works well, you'll know. We all make mistakes and that how I learned. I buy mostly buy second hand wool garments that I wash and take apart. I have several pieces that are not good quality, but now I'm more choosy when I go to the thrift store. Sometimes it's difficult to leave the piece of wool behind but I'm getting better at it. JB

    ReplyDelete