About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of one. I have many hobbies and interests but gardening and rug hooking are my main interest at the moment. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and have been married for 51years.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013


There is always plenty of adventures in my daily life but I find if I don't write about it, it's quickly forgotten. I'm not good at remembering things unless I write them down.

                           A flood in the barn

Last Tuesday, May 7th, after finishing work in the evening I came home to make supper. My husband was a little late and he came home with the news that one of the heifers in the back had pulled the float right out of the big watering trough that they drink from  and that there was a flood in the alleyway between the older calves and the big bull pen and the calving pen. He said that there were about 2 inches of water on the floor.

 I'm an action girl and I wanted to go clean it up right away. My husband is a procrastinator like my son and wanted to wait till morning. My concern was for the calves but he said that the water was not in the calf pens, just in the alleyway.  Their pens had been cleaned up and fresh bedding applied that morning. It's a good thing that the pen were built higher than the alleyway.

When I arrived the next  morning, there was a big water pool with about 4 inches of water in the alleyway. I got my Shop-Vac and  sucked up about 2 inches of water from the pool and carried buckets after buckets  of dirty water outdoor and when my son arrived later he brought in the skid-steer with the big bucket and filled it with the water and it went much faster. The floor was all cleaned up and dried up in no time. All I could think was all that manure tea I was throwing out could have been put on the gardens as everything was so dry for lack of rain.

While I was vacuuming water, my son and my husband were trying to rescue a weak cow that had gotten herself caught in her stanchion stall. When she went to get up, her front legs were too weak to carry her weight and she plunged forward with her face against the wall and no way could she get herself up.  She was good and stuck. They had to twitch her out, whatever that means... That was a tricky thing to do with a huge animal. She was brought limping in the calving pen to be treated and get some tender loving care and pain killer.


                           Squash Fiasco at the farm

A photo of a Hubbard Squash that my husband gave to my daughter Christine a few years back.

My husband had planted about 65 pots of squash seeds for the church supper  the night before as we have been  providing  the squash for the church suppers for years. He has a lean-to shelter that has a plastic roof  in the back of the barn and the sun shine in there so he thought that it would be a great place to grow the seeds. He has always gotten the nursery to start the squash plants for us but this year, he thought that he wanted to start them himself.

 He came back home with a wheelbarrow full of his precious potted seeds all messed up. The raccoons got into his pots and ate all the seeds that he planted. He had planted  three seeds per pot.
He put back the soil in the pots and put some more seeds in and put the pots on the deck in the back of our house. I hope that they will grow, it's still early...

                        Almost had another fiasco

Wednesday, May 8th, I had a bone density scan appointment at the hospital that had been rescheduled because I miss my last appointment because I had to help George pull that huge calf and I totally forgot about the scheduled appointment that morning.

I left the house early with plenty of time to go down town to make a bank deposit for the farm, go across the river to make a deposit at my credit Union, get some potting soil for my flowerbeds  at the feed store and  pick up a gallon of paint  up town at Canadian Tires for my deck rails. I looked at my watch and saw that I had still plenty of time to run up to Value Village. I thought that I was really efficient that morning.

I found a big crockpot that I have been wanting as my old one is way too small for a roast, I also found two nice pairs of short and I was on my way to the fitting rooms to try on the shorts when a man approached me and ask me if I was Julia. I recognized him right away and gave him a big hug.

 He was a refugee from Albania whom our church and our small group of volunteers had sponsored in 1999 because of  the war in Kosovo and Albania. He came to Canada with his wife, son and daughter with absolutely nothing as all their possessions were taken from them. His house was blown up in front of them, his car, jewellery, money, everything was taken away from them  except the cloths on their back. It's a long story.....

His wife was also at Value Village and we hugged when we saw each others.
We talked for a while and I told them that I had an appointment at 12:30. I looked at my watch and saw that I still had plenty of time. He wanted to go for coffee so we could talk some more but I had to go try my shorts on first and pay for my purchase.

I got in the fitting room and took the cell phone out of my pocket to check the time and I nearly had a bird right there. It said 12:18PM., not 11: 18...  My appointment was at 12:30 and I couldn't possibly miss this appointment again . I pull my sweat pants back on ( I only wear them for bone scan as they don't allow pants with zippers for scanning) and I ran to the closest cashier and asked if she would hold my merchandize until I came back. She would hold it for only an hour and got my name and phone number.
I dashed out the door, ran to the car and made it to my appointment at the hospital right on time. I didn't had time to go back to explain my sudden exit to my Albanian friends. I felt real bad but I did what I had to do.

That morning  I wore my good watch that I hadn't worn since I was in Ottawa, then I remembered the hour difference. I never adjusted the time on my watch when I got back home and my watch was put in my jewelry box as I use mostly my cell phone to check the time.   Duh...


This afternoon, when I went in the barn, I saw a black kitten who had an eye infection. I had tried to catch him  in the morning to clean his eyes and put some drops in them but he went and hid from me.

As I bent to grab him he started to meow really loud and the mother cat was near by, she came and attacked me in the face with her claws. She  hissed loudly and slapped me twice quickly and I screamed at her and she stopped but she had already pierced my skin in 5 places places. She pierced my nostril right through but I'm not going to wear a stud..., it just wouldn't sound right that I got my nose pierced by an angry cat, ha,ha,ha.

There were no scratches, just piercing  and I was bleeding. I let go of the kitten  and walk to the storage fridge to get the rubbing alcohol and a paper towel and I bathed the wounds. I put some Polysporin on. It hurt like hell. I may have to get a Tetanus shot tomorrow, I'll see how it feels in the morning. Stupid barn cats.

That is enough adventures for today. Sorry my post is so long but  I have to log my adventures or they will be forgotten.

Good night all.                                                       The END


  1. ALCOHOL STRAIGHT!!! on your scratches???? good googly wooglies...

    Well, I was about to go to bed ... pretty sleepy... came in to turn off my laptop and saw you had updated. I always have to read you ... couldn't go to bed knowing you had something to say..

    But jumping jeez! exhausted...

    good night, Julia. I hope you have a relaxing day on your bucolic farm tomorrow... hah

  2. Wow! I've finally met someone whose life is as crazy as mine!! The time thing always escapes me ~ I have hard time being in the right place at the right time ~ although I'm getting better!

  3. Well I am glad you were able to get out and about for awhile. be careful of the cat scratch.
    never a dull moment.

  4. Oh my! What a wild ride! I hope your wounds are healing well. Cat nails can do a lot of damage. I am glad the barn flood wasn't worse. You had one of those not too long ago, as I recall. You really need to write a book...and then relax.

  5. You've had enough "adventures" for a while, don't you think? But wait...it's farm life, isn't it! Never a dull moment, that's for sure! :) I can only imagine that flood in the barn. It happened to us a while back, and what a mess that is! I never thought of using the manure tea, though. What a great idea! I hope today is better!

  6. i enjoyed every one of these stories! just love it! not all good things, but entertaining for me to read, for sure!

  7. Oh your experience with the barn cats, been there done that. They are wild to handle but tame to feed and when one does need to handle them look out!!!!
    Oh that poor cow. I know when BIG animals get down it is so hard to get them back up. We had a horse that was around 30 when he died. And he would want to get down and roll and then he couldn't get back up. We would struggle so to get him on his feet so he wouldn't suffocate. Oh my the memories you bring back to me. I have too not changed my watch and had the wrong time. But when you talked about it, it seems funny :) Not to you though.
    Hope you have a nice C A L M day! We are going boating.

  8. Oh Julia! Whenever I'm feeling exasperated and stressed about my life I read your blog and realize I have it quite easy compared to you! Your stories are always entertaining and eye opening! Thanks for the comment you left on my blog!

    Hope you have a relatively calm day!


  9. Hi Julia, What a story I feel for yur nose! I have been so busy lately too but you sound super crazy busy.Lol.HUgs Cheri

  10. Whoa! J'm exhausted after reading your adventures. Hope your face is healing. Ronda

  11. Oh my heck you make my tired ache. That is way too much adventure.

    You never have a dull moment.

  12. As Nicole said, you should be baking cookies and going shopping :)
    I have been tricked by the time change before. And I think that you would look quite smashing with a nose ring

  13. Never a dull moment is right! That Tetanus shot might be a good thing. There can be danger from cat's scratches/piercings.

    I hope your Tuesday is going well.

  14. Never a dull moment, is there?
    Hugs :)

  15. First of all so I don't forget. That is the biggest squash I have ever seen. Hope your husbands plants grow in time and do well. Now for you and your adventures...my oh my what adventures you do have. How do you keep going and doing all you do? So sorry about the cat attack and I hope all goes well and those punctures heal with no problems for you. Hope you found some time to rest sweet Julia. Hugs

  16. I hope your piercings are healing now.

    And I really hope Dad's squash grow well too! I'd love some more of his Hubbard Squash. :) The squash in the photo weighed in at 27 lbs, and it took me two days to process, but in the end I filled my freezer with loads of yummy squash dishes.
    1 squash made:
    4 loaves of squash bread;
    2 squash pies;
    2 batches of chocolate chip squash cookies:
    squash casserole;
    1 large pots of curry squash soup;
    1 large pot of roasted red pepper squash soup; and
    still lots of squash puree left over to freeze.

  17. I'm visiting from over at Happily Married to the Cows where I saw your comment ...

    I am exactly the same - have all kinds of neat stories (most about my almost 5-yr-old son) but darned if I don't forget them ALL if I don't write them down somewhere!!!

    I like your barn stories too.