About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013


We had a couple of warm afternoons this past week and I did a few hours of yard work at the farm cutting small bushes and trees around the foundation on the back side of the machine shed and cutting tall weeds and grass and it felt good to be in the fresh air. It was warm enough to take my jacket and fleece off for a while. I also did some raking and made big piles of branches and weeds and grass for my husband George to haul away with the big tractor.

It was coming close to the time to go feed my calves when my weed eater gave up. No sweat, I had a brand new one still in the box at the house. I had bought it on sale at Canadian Tire store a few weeks earlier just because it was on sale lol... and might come in handy. It did come in handy. My husband just arrived home at the same time I did and he put it together for me. I rushed back to cut a little bit more barnyard grass.

My job is not finished but I've got a good head start on it. It's more than I can say for my own yard and gardens. Everything is a total mess this Fall.

For lack of taking pictures lately, I'm using and older picture of a messy flower bed in front of my house. This picture was taken last Fall I think and it's pretty much what my flowerbeds look like right now.

Today I scrubbed the walls of the milking parlor and wash the floor and the gutters. Not much glamour there. There is still lots of cleaning to do in there but my shoulder can only do so much before it starts to hurt a little so I have to pace myself.

While I was still in the milking parlor my husband called me about a heifer trying to give birth with her butts against the wall. He brought her into the calving pen and I came to assist and together we pulled the bull calf out and I clear the mouth and the nostril. My son Vaughan arrived before  the calf had taken his first breath and he stuck a piece of hay in his nostril and he breathed. I dipped the navel and vaccinate him as standard procedure. My son milked the mother and fed the calf for me and helped me with my chores while George milked the cows. I was done early for a change this evening. That's was the second bull calf this week. One was born on Sunday and I sold two yesterday. My pens are still full and I still have four without pens.

It has been a rough kind of a week but we take it all in stride. That's what we do on the farm. It never seem to get boring somehow. Always some kind of excitement happening on almost a daily basis.

Today was just a normal day and I have some more good adventures to share that happened this past week but it would make my post too long so I'll share some more maybe tomorrow if I can find time to post.

Thanks for stopping by. I so appreciate your comments.


  1. 'tis true. you work very hard and no day is ever the same on a dairy farm! you do more every day than so many of us even THINK about in a week...

  2. wow, that sure sounds like a full day!

  3. Julia ,you are such a hard worker .hugs cheri

  4. That was a fortuitous weed eater purchase!
    It's good to see a post from you, Julia. Glad your little calf was born safely.

  5. You sure do get a lot done in one little day!
    Take care,

  6. Julia, you accomplish so much in a day, you put us all to shame...My gardens need tending too, but there are just so many hours in a day and darkness arrives so early...Glad to hear things are running smoothly on the farm...Have a great day, Julie.

    1. for once I am up to date on my gardens. But I do not have the jobs you do in a day either.
      looking forward to your next post.

  7. Wow you've been super busy. Your work is never done is it? I like people who have that kind of work ethic though. The world needs more of that :)

  8. So exciting to read what you do. I always did like pulling calves, it always felt like such an accomplishment. It was hard work though. I am glad you had some warm days to work around your place. Not to mention having a new weed eater. That is always important. I have been looking at rubber boots at our farm store. I think of you every time I am standing there looking at them. I asked my husband for a pair for Christmas. He thought I was joking, but I have thought and though about your boots. I like rubber boots.
    Have a good week, I can wait to hear more about what is going on.

  9. You & your family are wonderful, Julia. I respect and admire you. Hugs.

  10. You are such a busy person, Julia! Farm work is not easy! Take care of yourself!

    Thank you for your visits to my blog! xo Nellie

  11. Life on the farm is always busy...non stop it seems! I hope you rested well last night! We have a lull in calves right now, but have 8 -10 cows/heifers due between now and the new year. We need their milk, but I'm not looking forward to feeding and keeping all those calves healthy over the holidays!

  12. Your job is never done. You work so hard and never complain. I can't imagine birthing a calf. Every time I watch the Yukon show with their cows I think of you. I think that is the name. They treat their cows so well. I think I even mentioned that before. I have been so slow returning thank yous for my posts this week. I start and do one and then move on. Too many emotions this week. Not just the kitty but people. Lots of good mixed in there so it's okay. (((((HUGS)))) and thank you.

  13. My day (so far) consists of repairing a fractured elbow, shoulder repair, knee arthrosccopy, and I have a fractured hip to end the day...but it sure pales in comparison to your day! Farming is no picnic and I admire your family. Hopefully this day will be a good one!

  14. morning, Julia ... WHAT days you do have .... "scrubbed the walls of the milking parlor and wash the floor and the gutters." ... that alone would be the death of me....

    trying to get caught up on reading my favorite blogs ... Charlie and then I got a tiny bug of somewhat ... just made me sleep for an entire day! hate that... I don't get very often and I do NOT like it.

    Like Debby said above ... your job is never done... don't know how you do all you do...

    It's raining and cool here ... wish I had soup makings... that sounds sooo good.

    Let's have a great day! hope you have a not so hurdly one! ;)

  15. Farm work is hard but for sure it never gets boring. When there are live animals there is always something going on, some expected and some not. I admire you so much sweet Julia for all you you find time to blog I don't know but I am sure glad you do. I enjoy reading all your posts so much. Hugs