RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Monday, January 21, 2019

I'VE BEEN IN THE KITCHEN FOR A CHANGE

The storm is over and we didn't get the 2 foot of snow we were expecting. It snowed about 6 inches and we got some freezing rain on top of the snow and a bit more snow on top of that. It drifted in some places and my husband said the snow was heavy to plow.

Like my title said, I've been in the kitchen more than usual lately. I made a blueberry pie last week and I added some lemon zest and lemon juice to boost the flavor. It didn't last too long. I needed to use the leftover pie dough I had in the fridge from when I made some empenadas, they are a sort of small meat pies that you can hold in the hand.
With the leftover dough, I made these little sweet treats. I spread butter on the dough and sprinkles brown sugar and roll and then cut into thin slices. My mom used to make these.



On Saturday, I wanted to try my new compact deep fryer so I made some onion rings. They were so good.

That's what was left because I only thought of taking a picture after they were almost gone. I'm trying to fatten myself up. I think it's working. lol...

Today, since I was well rested from doing nothing on Sunday, I made some veggie samosas but I remembered to take photos this time.  It would have been helpful to have someone take the photos for me since I had flour on my hand. I had to wash my hands for each photo I took.

First I prepared my son in law's dough recipe and I placed it in a bag to rest for a few hours. While the dough was resting I prepared the veggie filling. 

I like it spicy but I didn't add as much cayenne pepper as I would like because I have to share it with my husband and son who don't like it as hot as I do. My filling is moist enough to make it into little balls with my small cookie scoop.  I still have lots of filling left so I'll have to make more dough.
NOT A PROBLEM...


I rolled out the dough until thin like  Bill, my son in law, showed me to do, with my pasta roller. It works great and is much faster than rolling the dough with a rolling pin.


This is actually fun to do.
I first make a small ball and flatten it, put a wee bit of flour so it won't stick to the rollers and pass it through the pasta roller.  I start with a thicker sheet of dough and change to a thinner setting and pass the sheet of dough through several times until it's thin enough. In this picture, it's set on the thicker setting.

I cut it in strips and brush lightly with water to seal the edges and place a spoonful of the veggie filling on the bottom and fold it in triangles.
I cut it in strips and placed a spoonful of filling on the dough and fold it in a triangle, making sure the edges are sealed so there is no leakage into the oil.



When I have all my samosas filled and sealed, I deep fry them to a golden brown.


As you can see, I'm still not an expert at folding these triangles like my daughter Jackie is but they are so yummy anyway. I'll get better at making them once I've gotten more experienced.
I didn't make the dipping sauce so my husband dipped them in antipasto, lol.  I didn't have all the ingredients to make the coriander mint chutney sauce but I will next time. I didn't want to go out in all that snow today just for a few ingredients. So that's what I've been up to.

I hope that you all weathered the storm well. We are used to lots of snow in this part of the country.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.  Comments are what keeps us blogging.
Hugs, Julia





19 comments:

  1. You have been busy. And productive. It is still stinking hot over here and cooking has been minimal. Lots of salads, not a lot of anything else.
    Stay warm, stay safe. And, if you can, send us some cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that pie looks good!! I do the same with my left over pie crust a sweet treat. Those samosas look good.
    Glad to see you are enjoying your time away from the barn
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy you are having fun in the kitchen! Everything looks so yummy and I bet it smells delicious, too. Take good care and stay warm.
    Robyn xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those onion rings look so good...and so does everything else. It sounds like you are enjoying spending time in the kitchen. My mom had one of those pasta rollers. She always made homemade noodles. Now my niece has it.
    So happy your storm somewhat fizzled even though that is still a considerable amount of snow.
    Stay warm and safe.
    Hugs 😊
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks amazing! I'm looking forward to trying your samosas the next time we visit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah...I think you're enjoying your more relaxed schedule!! :) Those look really good, and the pasta roller looks like a handy machine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Julia,
    Your post made me SO HUNGRY!!! Everything looks DELICIOUS and I just wish I could sample them all!!! So nice to see you were able to enjoy some time in the kitchen and then be rewarded for all your hard work!!! Happy to hear that your weather was not as bad as they predicted! Hope you are staying safe and warm inside!! Now it is time for you to go bake some cookies!!!
    Take care, my friend!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's very impressive, Julia. And you made me hungry so I will go and have some lunch. It's good to see you back to blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmm.... I can smell those delicious aromas wafting through my computer! I'd love to help you in the kitchen....so I can sample some of those goodies! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We made it through our storm but got 14in. of the white stuff! I think your food looks fabulous and I'm sure it takes even better! I make a Greek dish with phyllo dough and make it into triangles like that. I fill them with cheese or a spinach and cheese filling. Very yummy too! We'll be calling you Chef Julia soon...maybe we'll see you on the Food Network! Enjoy your kitchen and have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those look so delicious! I love when I have to chance to be in the kitchen. It is just relaxing to me. Your pie looks lovely as well.

    Hope you are keeping warm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, you made me so hungry. I am so happy you have time to relax and learn to use new “machinery”😊 Retirement looks good on you. Have fun. Hugs B

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! YUMMY baking and frying! I'm glad you are trying to fatten up with pies because it's fun to read about!
    Stay warm and no snow shoveling for you because remember, you are retired. Sending heaps of love your way, good Julia!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, sweet Julia what a beautiful pie and I bet it was yummy. What a great cook you are all of that food looks delicious. I am glad you didn't get the 2 feet of snow. Stay warm and enjoying all those goodies you are making in the kitchen. You are trying to fatten up and I am still trying to get rid of what Thanksgiving and Christmas food put on me. lol Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH my gosh Julia, what wonderful yummy food! I would love for you to come here and fix all of that in my kitchen. I am so glad you are just in the kitchen.
    I am also glad you didn't get that scary storm.
    What yummy goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy.. I need to take a trip to your house. I would eat everything you made up. :-)
    I made a Pecan Pie today, it is my husband's birthday Thursday 1/24.. he loves Pecan Pie.
    xx oo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh Yum Julia! you have been busy in the kitchen! i made a pineapple cake recipe i found while looking for something else, made it into muffins instead with a cream cheese frosting, i dont bake much, sister Jana is the baker and i love to cook! i tend to find things to do in the kitchen when i should be doing other things... enjoy your evening!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh, they DO look tasty, those Samosas. I ADORE veggie samosas- so delicious! I love it when it is Diwali at school as some of the ladies I work with bring these in- freshly made!! You are a good cook!x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those samosas look amazing. I'm not sure how I missed this post but I was cleaning out my inbox and found it.
    Sorry for the delay.

    ReplyDelete