RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Tuesday, January 15, 2019

JULIA HEN IS FINALLY FINISHED AND JANUARY BLUES ARE GONE.

Halfway through January and I'm back to normal or semi-normal. I've adjusted to my new easy schedule and I've rested my tired body and stressed mind. My damaged shoulder is feeling a whole lot better. I had 2 falls in November that had set me back. I couldn't scrub or lift and I got bored and felt blue.

It's not easy to do to keep still when a person is so used to being busy all the time. I've always liked to keep busy, even as a child. I either was always cleaning or taking care of kids or trying to make things better. But starting in December, I was feeling restless and lost interest in doing anything. I needed to snap myself out of this mindset.

After twidling my thumbs once too often, I decided to finish hooking my Julia Hen chairpad and finish the edge. I could only hook for about 10 minutes and my heart just wasn't in it. There wasn't much to hook on it but I persisted and got it done.



This was a rug that my Rug Hooking Daily friends, The Great Stash  Deworming Marathon suggested I do after I had done a challenge rug using leftover wool worms. You might remember George Rooster chairpad rug, named after my husband, lol. They suggested that I needed to do a Julia Hen chairpad. Well, here they are.



I've pestered my son-in-law to show me how he makes Samosas. His chicken Samosas are to die for. They are so moist, unlike the ones we buy at the market.

I made a batch of Veggie Samosas and they tasted better than the ones I bought.  Of course, I didn't take pictures. I'll take pictures next time I make them again.

 I bought a compact deep fryer to fry my Samosas but found out I didn't have enough oil to use my deep fryer so I used my wok. I don't recommend deep frying on the stove because it only takes a spatter of oil to ignite the whole pan. I forgot to take a photo of my Samasas but they looked the same as my son-in-law. I had a little flare up but luckily, my oil didn't catch on fire.

I've cleaned the wallpaper paste of one small section of my kitchen wall near the stove that was unfinished a while back. It was very dried up and needed a lot of elbow grease.

I've spent a lot of time more time cooking in the kitchen now since I'm retired.  Today I made 2 meatloaves, one for us and one for my son Vaughan. I've put on a few pounds but I still stand to put on a few extra more.



I can't wait to start planting seeds although our gardening season is still far away. I plugged in my grow light unit that was under flood water for 8 days in the basement last spring and to my big surprise, the lights lit up. They will need cleaning but I'm so happy they still work. I really thought that they were damaged.

We have a sunny blue sky and the snow is dripping off the roof this afternoon. I hope that you are blessed with good weather too today, wherever you are.
Thanks for visiting, caring and leaving comments.
Hugs, Julia




17 comments:

  1. Your George Rooster and Julia Hen chair pads are beautiful! You are very talented, and I'm sure you'll be keeping busy now, creating all kinds of lovely things, and growing things in your garden! I'm sure you're enjoying an easier schedule, and I'm happy for you!The winter blues are hard to shake. I get them when it stays dreary for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your chair pads are gorgeous. I am so glad you have rested your tired body and mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear the blues are gone and you are adjusting to your new normal. Great finishes on the chair pads. Now get busy on your next project, even if you have to force yourself for 10 minutes. Remember the way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time :)
    Hugs,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your chair pads. I have never heard of the chicken dish you were talking about. Glad you are feeling better and your shoulder is better. So glad you are getting back to hooking.
    you have so much talent
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness Julia, those rugs are simply amazing although they don't look so simple to make. You are truly the hooking queen in my book. Glad your feeling better and sent those blues away. It is a new adjustment when you're used to being so busy but now you can be busy relaxing and reading and hooking rugs and making wonderful meatloaf. That is also an art in itself. I made one a while back and let me tell you it was a big fat fail haha Your's looks so yummy.
    Take care my friend!
    Saimi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy to hear you are no longer feeling blue. I LOVE Samosas too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you are getting back into the swing of things Julia.
    I’m not familiar with Samosas. I’ll have to Google that when I finish here.
    Love the rooster.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your chair pads!! So cute!! Glad to hear that you are on the mend, and thinking positively! Spring will be here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your chair pads Julia! They are so pretty. I love seeing your hooking. I am glad you are feeling better. I am so glad your lights work. I have that gardening bug too. I can't wait until I can plant just something. I have never heard of Samosas so I will have to look them up. How nice you have gained some weight. I hope you can spend more time doing what you like today. Bless you Julia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julia and George are really cool. What a great pair! After you worked so hard all your life, I'm sure you need to learn how to take it easy. I am glad your shoulder is better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Julia,
    I like Julia and George, wow, such amazing talent!
    I am excited for the garden season too.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  12. The meatloaf looks yummy! I'm glad you are feeling better. The chair pads are so beautiful! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Julia and George are gorgeous as people AND chair pads! :-)
    So happy to hear you allowed yourself time to relax and recuperate. It's not easy to sit and be idle when you're used to doing so much....but, now you are refreshed and ready for some fun endeavors...like flowers, wool and more yummy baking/cooking! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy to hear those blues are gone sweet Julia and you are doing better. Love, love, love the hen and rooster...you do beautiful work. Those meat loafs look yummy, my Shug loved meatloaf. I hope you can find something you enjoy doing to keep you busy until planting season. I am looking forward to seeing all the beauty you will have around your place when spring comes. Big hugs sweet Julia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Look how cute those chair pads are! You are so talented and I'm glad you pushed through the blue spot and are looking forward to planting season. Me too but, like you, it's a stretch away until Spring. We're getting a big snow storm this weekend so I'll probably be daydreaming about planting too! Take care and enjoy your freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Julia, i love your chair pads! i have one started.. it was a rug but i decided to make it into a chair pad. i also have another rug going but.. i never seem to have enough noodles of a color and need to find some coordinating wool to add.. so i have that on the back burner. i find i need to push myself to get going and just get it done! im sorry to hear you fell a couple times! im trying to catch up! but im glad to hear you have retired and maybe slowing down some. it is an adjustment for you though im sure! enjoy your evening Julia!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am glad that the resplendent Julia is finished! She really is a triumph- you are a great craftsman!!! Oooo, I am scared of fat fires- please be careful!!x

    ReplyDelete