RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Saturday, May 18, 2019

UPDATE ON MY SEEDLINGS & FLOOD DAMAGE IN THE YARD

I think it's high time to show you some progress on my seedlings.



Here is my Morning Glory growing along with the ginger indoors. This was my first blossom and as of today, I have had three blossoms. There are a lots of buds on the plant. It wants to twist around the ginger leaves but every day, I just make the tendrils climb on itself.



There are more shoots coming out from the ginger plant.




My seedlings have grown and I've been putting them outdoors to harden.


I 've been digging sod with lots of weeds at the end of the garden and I have amended the soil and planted 8 blueberry bushes.

I have three double rows of assorted peas, three rows of assorted onions, some spinach and kale planted. Everything is starting to grow. Today I planted two rows of Cylendra beets. I like them because they are long beets and are great for slicing.

I'm still cleaning up from the flood damage on my lawn and gardens. I'll spare you from showing flood pictures but instead, I have included a mini sample of the damage that I have to deal with.



The Daylily flowerbed has been cleaned but I haven't replaced the soil yet.  I didn't lose as much topsoil as last year because I didn't clean the dead debris last fall.


Branches I picked up from the back lawn. They will be cut for kindling.



The path to the back garden behind the hedge. There is mud everywhere.




Everything is toppled and covered with mud in the garden shed.


My swing seats move from the gazebo to the back flower garden by the hedge. I wanted to move them up before the flood but my husband thought that the flood would not be as bad as last year, but it was. I was disappointed. My tulips were buried under mud and debris.



I have cleaned a lot but haven't taken pictures yet. I'm just doing what I can and the rest. I have pruned two of my rose bushes, weeded and removed all the bricks and replaced the landscape fabrics under the bricks and added some mulch. There are two of them but I'm only showing one bed.

Thanks for stopping by. I'm sorry for waiting so long before posting. I wish you all a great weekend. I hope you'll enjoy doing whatever you choose to do. For us, it a long weekend. Victoria Day.
Hugs, Julia


12 comments:

  1. A garden is always a lot of work (and sometimes heartbreak) but I wouldn't be without mine despite the blood, sweat and tears which fertilise it.
    Love yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You work so hard cleaning after each flood. I wish I could do seedlings they never do well. Wood good to see you post.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Julia, so much damage and so much work for you to do. I hope it all comes out OK and you don't overdue it too much. Your seedlings are like hope for the future! I'm glad to see you post. If you can, enjoy your long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your seedlings have really grown and are going to make a fine garden. I'm so impressed with your gardening skills. You are such a hard working woman who isn't afraid to tackle hard projects. That flood damage is going to be a doozy but I know in time you'll have it in ship shape condition. Just remember to rest and not over do it.
    Enjoy the long weekend!
    Hugs!!!
    Saimi

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do have such a green thumb. I know that your garden will be so pretty. I am so sorry Julia about how much work you have and all of the flood damage. I hope you have lots of nice warm days ahead. Thanks for the update, and enjoy your long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You truly are a hard working woman. I admire you so and wish I had more strength to do more. It's so much fun to see how your seedlings are progressing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet Julia my heart aches for you...that is so much damage to have to be cleaned and repaired. You are doing great getting it all fixed up again. Your seedlings all look super great and that blue morning glory is beautiful. Your place is going to be absolutely beautiful again when your flowers are all in bloom. Love and hugs sweet Julia...thanks for visiting our blog. Take care of yourself and don't overdo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I'm so sorry about the damage to the swing seat and the other flood damage- it must be really gutting when you put so much work in!!
    Your morning Glory looks super- what a glow it has! Your seedlings do look good! I can't wait to see your blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy to "hear" from you. I check often to see if you have posted. I was really shocked to find out that you endured another flood! News in TX does not tell us about floods where you are. I thought maybe you were taking some time off, enjoying being retired. I should have known better. You are always so busy and get so much done. I am so sorry about all that water that you have to cope with so frequently. Gee, when we get just an inch or so of rain at once, we have flood warnings, but they never last more than a few hours. I can only imagine what it is like, being in your place and watching the water getting deeper! Thank you for letting us know. And, wow! How talented you are. Those seedlings are something else. I might try the ginger root in a pot just for fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Julia....so much added work from the flooding...glad it wasn't as much as last year. LOVE that morning glory....and the blue ones are my favorite! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry Julia .. I was in hope you would not flood this year.
    Praying the clean up goes well.

    We had rain and snow yesterday. We have some flooding in our basement. It is drying out today.
    The rain was so heavy, and driving in on the North side.
    It seems to be always something.
    The sun is shining today. xx oo Carla

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Julia,
    I am always sad to see the flood damage, but so happy you seem to take it in stride and are slowly making progress!! I can't imagine picking up all those branches!! You certainly DO have a green thumb.....actually I think it must be a GREEN HAND, and I really admire that as I don't have even a green pinky!! I'm sure all your gardens will be in wonderful shape soon!!! Don't work too hard and enjoy the "fruits" of your labor, my friend!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete