RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Sunday, December 4, 2016

DR LISA NICOLE BOURQUE OBITUARY

For those who haven't seen our daughter Nicole's obituary, I've decided to print it here for the family records of which my blog is all about. To us she was our beloved daughter  Nicole, to her students and colleagues she was known as Dr Lisa Nicole Bourque.




          Dr. Lisa Nicole Bourque
            1966-2016

It's with heavy hearts and great sadness that the family of Dr. Nicole Bourque announces her sudden and unexpected passing in Glasgow, Scotland.

Nicole was born in Fredericton to George and Julia Bourque on July 25th, 1966. She graduated from Fredericton High School in 1984 and went to the University of New Brunswick where she completed a degree in Anthropology with First Class Honours.
Her outstanding scholarships earned her a prestigious Commonwealth Scholarship which funded her pursuit of a PhD at the University of Cambridge (Girton College).
She won an O'Brian Foundation award to fund her field work in Ecuador which resulted in her outstanding thesis "Of Soups, Saints and Sucres".

She received her PhD in 1993 and joined the faculty in the School of Social and Political Sciences at the University of Glasgow, where she spent her entire career, her final position being that of Senior Lecturer in Social Anthropology.

She was deeply committed to her work, her students, and her faculty colleagues. An open, friendly and caring person with a winning personality  (and a good listener), her expansive knowledge and easy manner made her a stellar conversationalist. She was bubbling with life and made so many long lasting friendships everywhere she went.

Apart from her life as a scholar, she was a free spirit who, the moment her work was done, loved to travel. Over the years she visited dozens of countries and became somewhat  of a polyglot.  She was a mountain climbing enthusiast and climbed mountains all over the world. She was only the second  Canadian woman to climb all 282 Munros in Scotland and the first from New Brunswick to do so. Munros are mountains that are over 3000 feet in height (914 meters).

Nicole was very humble despite her many accomplishments, too numerous to mention here. Her passing leaves a big void at the University of Glasgow, and amongst her colleagues, students, friends and family.

Nicole is survived by her parents, George and Julia Bourque, her beloved siblings, Jacqueline Bourque (Bill Briggs) of Fredericton, Vaughan Bourque, of Fredericton, Dr Christine Bourque (Joe MacDonald) of Ottawa, nieces Jordyn Bourque and Nicole Briggs, and nephew Vincent Briggs, Simon Briggs, Liam Briggs, all of Fredericton, James and Daniel MacDonald of Ottawa, and one grand nephew, Cypress Fletcher of Fredericton, and a large extended family of aunts, uncles, and cousins.

Visitations will be on Sunday, Nov. 6th, 2016, from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00p.m. at St Francis of Assisi Church, 2130, Route 102 (Lincoln Road). A celebration mass will be held on Monday,  November 7th, at 12:00 noon, at the same location. Interment to follow in the cemetery. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to St Francis of Assisi Parish.

The family would like to extend a heartfelt thanks to the many thoughtful, supportive and helpful people of Glasgow who assisted with the many tasks the family faced. These included friends, faculty colleagues, and government officials. Online condolences and sharing of memories may be sent through www.bishopsfuneralhome.com

                                        ❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦
         
Thanks for all your show of support and caring at this difficult time.
Hugs, Julia and family.                  


25 comments:

  1. My heart is breaking for you. No parent should have to endure the loss of a beloved child. Many blessings and prayers for you and all the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia, really?? Wow, I'm so sorry. She certainly live a full life and will obviously be missed. This is truly sad, my heart goes out to you and your family and will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was totally surprised when I read your post on Saturday and I have been thinking and wondering what happened? I have many questions but think it is inappropriate at this time to bombard you with questions. I am truly sadden about your loss of such a wonderful daughter and loved one. Yes it is therapeutic I believe to talk about it because it helps to heal physically and emotionally...it's how I got through when my parents and sister passed. Take care and may the great spirit be with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Julia,
    Sending lots of love and hugs to you, my friend!
    Praying for you~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Julia, I hope you feel all of the love and prayers we are sending to your family. So heartbroken for you. If it is possible take comfort in the full life she lived while here on this earth and now she is living freer than ever in heaven. Love and Hugs Louise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet Julia what a beautiful lady and what great accomplishments with out a doubt she left her mark on this world. I am just so sorry for your loss and my heart aches for you. Sending you much love and many warm, gentle hugs. You are very much in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful obituary. Sending my condolences and prayers to you Julia and your family. Take care of yourself OK. I am an email away. HUGS B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love and prayers to you Julia and your family.
    Thank you for sharing.
    What a fun daughter. Her mountain climbing adventures would be fun to hear about.

    I am here by e mail if you need to cry or talk.
    Love, Carla

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julia, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Love and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Julia! My heart is just aching for you and your family! My prayer is that you will feel the comfort and strength from God as you grieve. I just cannot imagine the loss you are feeling. Love and hugs, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Julia ~ I just read this on a blog friend's page and was stunned to know of your loss. Prayers of peace going up for you and your family. You were blessed to have he in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A mutual friend mentioned you on her blog and I wanted to say how sorry I am to hear about your daughter. We also lost our daughter a year and a half ago and it is something that no parent should have to go through. May you and your family find peace.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Julia, my heart is broken for you and your family. I have missed your posts about life on the farm, and am so saddened that this is what brought you back to your online friends. I know I am in another country, but, please, if I can do something for you, just ask. Sending you lots of love, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Julia, I'm so sorry for your loss. Your daughter was a very special young woman. I'm sending prayers and hugs to you. I'll make sure your blog is back on my list. Again, my thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Julia, I'm so, so sorry to hear this! I've been a bit negligent in reading lately, and just now saw that you posted, (and I also go your comment on mine!) She looks like a beautiful daughter, and I'm sure you'll miss her like crazy. How comforting that your last communication included an "I love you!" Hugs from afar!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Julia, I am so very sorry for loss! This must be a very hard time for,you and your family. You all are in my,thoughts and prayers.
    Char

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a loss for this world and all of you. Hugs cheri

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Julia. What a beautiful light she was.
    I believe she still shines.
    Holding you close to heart
    with big tenderness
    and love,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll definitely pray for her.
    Whatchu can do is say this:

    Let this be your catalyst to Seventh-Heaven:

    'The more you shall honor Me,
    the more I shall bless you'
    -the Infant Jesus of Prague
    (<- Czech Republic, next to Russia)

    Love him or leave him or indifferent...
    better lissen to the Don:

    If you deny o'er-the-Hillary's evil,
    which most whorizontal demokrakkrs do,
    you cannot deny Hellfire
    which YOU send YOURSELF to.

    Yes, earthling, I was an NDE:
    the sights were beyond extreme.
    Choose Jesus.
    You'll be most happy you did.
    God bless your indelible soul.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have just found this blog after googling Nicole when a friend from Girton College, Cambridge, informed me of her death. I wanted to pass on to you that Nicole was instrumental in helping me to settle into what became my eventually expatriate life - she was truly a pivitol part of my life. I arrived at Girton in 1991 quite unsure of my surroundings. Nicole was warm, friendly and welcoming; she sought me out and introduced me around so that my transition into college life would be smooth. She was very kind, and also funny! She also showed my American parents around the college, and they remember that moment and her lively conversation all these very many years later. I remember her room, decorated in exotic furnishings, textiles and plants, as a warm and welcoming place to visit. Although I we lost touch, she had a big impact on me, and I am very very saddened to hear this news. I send you my most heartfelt condolences. You were very blessed to have a daughter like Nicole. Sarah Schofield 2017

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm confused says she died 2066...it's only 2020. Must be a typo.

    ReplyDelete