RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Tuesday, December 15, 2020

THE TREE IS UP

I finally decided to put up the tree. It feels different this year as we won't have any visitors but this is something we might have to get used to.  One thing I've noticed as I made progress in decorating the tree, I had mixed feelings as I was handling all the decorations that my kids gave me over the years. There are some from many countries from far away places and some they bought with their own money when they were in school. Many are collectors' items now.  It was bittersweet as I hung a little pair of ceramic baby booties with the birth date and name of Nicole written in gold. After Nicole passed away, those little booties came back home all the way from Scotland.

 Lauren my dear blogger friend has been checking to see how I was doing with decorating my tree. It took me longer than usual to put the darn bead garland on. It kept slipping and my shoulder kept getting sore and tired from holding my arms up. I'm glad I had some office work to do so I could take a break. Thanks to Lauren, I'm glad I persevered and finally finished decorating the tree. 



This is before I got the ornaments on.  The angel was given to me by my first little granddaughter Jordyn when she was just a wee little girl. 



Not a good photo but you get the picture. I have fewer ornaments than the last time I decorated the tree, but still, it took me a long time hanging each one of them.  I gave all my little teddy bears to my little great-granddaughter. She filled a whole big grocery bag with the teddy bears and proudly took them home. It was just too cute.




This a gift from Christine that I got in 2000, 20 years ago.  



One of my large poinsettia. It's starting to turn red. It's so big. This is a table that sits four people.  Some of the large leaves are falling off as there are many little new leaves and branches growing. It's really too big and I have two others like that. You can't even see the top but I'm glad for the color.

I have some other decorations put up but it will be for another time. This evening George and decided that we will get a turkey for Christmas even though it's just the two of us. We have to stay positive, it's better that way. I can give the other half to my son Vaughan.

Stay safe and well everyone and thanks for leaving a comment.

Hugs, Julia


15 comments:

  1. Your tree looks truly beautiful. I have some of those 'bittersweet' ornaments too. I hang them with pleasure - and with misty eyes.
    Stay safe, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tree is beautiful Julia!!! (And it was even without the ornaments...which is how I would have likely left it...but I didn't even get to the tree part....) And that poinsettia is incredible!!!!!! Wowsers....I have never ever seen one that large! How long have you had it??? ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I got 3 large poinsettias from the church after Epiphany last January. They usually get lots of smaller ones for Christmas but for some reason, they had purchased 3 large ones and nobody wanted to take them home once they no longer wanted them. There are two other very large poinsettia.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad Lauren kept in touch to cheer you on what a beautiful tree filled with wonderful memories! I agree we need to continue until we can meet again. you have had some great sadness in your life and you still keep on you are a great inspiration to everyone.
    wishing you a healthy and blessed christmas
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I love your big fat tree! That's my favorite kind!
    God be with you. He is very near. This Christmas will be full of adoration and worship. Good idea to get a turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful poinsettia plant! Also love your tree with the silver garland and even though it was a struggle, well worth it. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tree is fabulous! I love that garland. I have beaded garland too but it doesn't look as nice as yours! I have special ornaments that Jack's parents gave us every year until my Mother-in-law passed away. The are Hallmark ones and made of glass so I've packed them away. Some years they come out but not this one. I guess I'm not in the mood to do it. I've decorated plenty and I know we'll be alone this time but I'm just glad Jack is better and I know we'll gather again at Easter...hopefully! We've been discussing what to have for Christmas dinner since it's just us. We usually have a ham but we're kind of thinking of a prime rib roast. (a small one!) I'm not sure which yet! Snow is falling today but I don't think we'll get what the East coast is going to get. Take care Julia!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julia,
    Your tree is beautiful. Hanging those booties would have had me in tears, but how wonderful they came back to you.
    I am always amazed at your poinsettias. I have never seen any that big and to think you keep them from dying year after year. I have a green thumb, but not with poinsettias.
    xoxo, my friend.
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julia,
    The tree is beautiful. I think about your daughter often. I have been watching a show called, This Farming Life and it is about farmers in Scotland.
    I love the poinsettia, it is amazing.
    Happy Christmas,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful tree! Amazing that your poinsettia is that large, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hurray for Lauren for cheering you on! Your tree is beautiful and sparkling with memories. The end of a year is always time for reflection and I feel the Christmas Tree is a large part of that. That poinsettia is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing and Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely tree and I love the sentimental ornaments. Last year around this time we weren’t in NB, we were in Guadalajara and poinsettias were growing like crazy from the ground!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your tree and decorations look so lovely than I love that you have sentimental ornaments such treasured memories. I commend you on how wonderful your Poinsettia looks, mine always die on me so I stopped buying them but then again you have the green thumb that I lack. Have a very Merry Christmas even if it is just the two of you, it should be nice and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the bead garland. It was fun to hear your ornaments history. The bears will be treasured for decades from that grandchild.
    I hope your holiday was good, even tho it was different. I remember reading blog posts of yours when your home was full to bursting during the holidays. It does make things seem so subdued this year.
    Praying for a better coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no! I missed this post.
    Your tree looked so nice! It's a huge tree and you decorated it beautifully! Sorry to hear about how it hurt your shoulder- is the break healing now?
    It must have been lovely to remember Nicole when looking at the booties yet sad- not surprised it was bittersweet. It's lovely that your granddaughter had the teddies.
    That poinsetta is astonishing! I remmember your 3 from last year- plants do well with you!x

    ReplyDelete