RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

UPDATE ON MR.GEORGE ROOSTER CHAIR-PAD AND SEEDLINGS

I thought it's about time I give you an update on my rooster rug chair-pad and on my seedlings.
I finished hooking Mr. George the Rooster yesterday but I still haven't finished binding the edges. I'll do that on a rainy day. He measures 14 inches from side to side.  My rug hooking friends all tell me that I should hook a Julia hen chair-pad to keep George company. lol... That might have to wait a while.



Next an update on my seedlings. All the seeds have sprouted except the pepper seeds but I saw a little sprout coming out so they shouldn't be too long. Soon it will be time to transplant and that's another job. I have to scrub a bunch of little pots before transplanting. I like to see how fast the seedlings grow more than I like the work. It always amazes me every time I see the tiniest seeds of the lobelia sprouting green leaves.


I couldn't show all the seedlings in this shot



The geraniums had a head start because they need longer time to bloom and once they get their second sets of leaves, they really grow fast.

Now for signs of spring: On my way home from the barn, I finally saw a flock of Robins on Saturday and I was so happy that I forgot to make my wish, lol...  a few daffodils and tulips are out on the south side of the house. We still have lots of snow in places but we can see patches of brown lawns everywhere.

A view from my front door. The St John River is fully opened.


Daffodils poking through on the south side of the house


 Tulips eager to grow


A bleeding heart plant poking through by the front steps.

I hope that you are all seeing some signs of spring even if they are slow to show up in places. No green grass here yet.

I was in the process of uploading pictures for my blog post yesterday afternoon and we lost our internet connection in our part of the city. It was still out when I went to bed last evening but it's back this morning. That's it for my update today.

Thanks for visiting and leaving comments.
Hugs, Julia

16 comments:

  1. I am so glad the river is completely open. It looks like spring is happening around your house. You must have the greenest thumb. I love seeing all of your seedlings. Your rug is wonderful. I love all of the colors and you are an amazing hooker Julia.
    I think you need to do a hen rug as well.
    I love seeing what you have been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your rooster. Colors are nice and bright. I must admit I am tired of our no spring, cold snowy winter in April.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your rooster nice to see you hooking. You have a lot of work ahead of you transplant
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rooster is lovely and I still don't see how you find time for everything you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. George is a handsome fellow indeed.
    You definitely have lots of work ahead, but I am sure this summer you will think it was worth it.
    Happy transplanting!
    Hugs 😘
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet Julia I soooo like Mr. George Rooster. Your talent amazes me. Your seedlings all look so pretty and healthy. I was seeing beautiful signs of spring then we had two hard freezes and all the crepe myrtles and my mock pomegranate have black leaves on them now. The butterfly bush, hydrangea and daffodils survived. I am hoping everything will make a comeback. Very rare for us to have hard freezes like that in April. You have lots of planting to do and oh, how beautiful it will look around your place very soon. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Rooster! He's really beautiful..nice job! We had very warm weather today for the first time in forever. But they are calling for snow Monday and Tuesday..I'm soooo over it! My daffodils are up and my grass is green but if it turns white next week I may cry! Your garden in the making is really doing well. I love seeing it all up. Your yard always looks so pretty but I know it's tons of hard work. You take care Julia! Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Julia,
    Mr. George the rooster is such a dapper fellow and I do believe he needs a mate, too!! Wonderful job!!!
    You certainly DO have a green thumb and all those seedlings look ready to plant as soon as the ground is ready,and it does seem like it will be soon!! I'm sure you are so excited to see all those happy signs of spring......finally!!! We actually had a 100 degree day this past week, but so happy it is back in the low 80's today!!! Not ready for that heat yet, but it IS COMING!!
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend, my friend!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr. George is beautiful or should I say handsome. ;-)
    My peppers and eggplant are not peeking yet. You are right, the work begins once they spout. It is all going to look lovely and taste so good in a few months or so.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow.... nothing like having the view of the river from the front door.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spring will be upon you before you know it.
    Love the rooster.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi dear Julia! Oh, the rooster is an amazing work of art! You are SO good at hooking!
    The river is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your rooster is looking SOOOO handsome! What would a Julia one look like?! You are very clever with your immaculate hooking!
    I love to see the magical seedlings growing and then eventually becoming wonderful flowers! Your daffodils are almost out! They are my favourite flower! So triumphant!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Julia, I had to smile when somebody called you ‘an amazing hooker’. It’s surprising to see you have so much snow but i’m sure you’ll survive. The colours you used on mister George the rooster are great to see and I can’t wait to see the finished article.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi There it has been a while loved catching up on all your posts and pictures, you truly live in an amazing place you are truly blessed

    ReplyDelete
  16. love your chair pad! im working on one.. well slowly working on one. it seems hooking is such a treat and i only get to it once in awhile. when im done with everything else.. i should start hooking 10 minutes a day. we still have thick ice on the lakes here but i see the river is starting to clear. i have seen a couple swans and geese hanging out near the open water in the ams when i go get dads news paper for him. my parents sold their garden store 12 years ago and i still miss seeing all the seedlings in the window and transplanting them... enjoy your day Julia!

    ReplyDelete