RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Saturday, June 9, 2018

THE CLEANUP CONTINUES BUT I CAN SEE THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL.

It's been quite a ride but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. For all those of you who emailed me, asking how I was progressing with the flood clean up. I have to say thank you for your concerns and caring... Things have progressed slowly but surely.

I approached the problem by prioritizing and the clean up at the farm was priority one as we needed to get the cattle back to the farm. The other farmer who shared the exhibition barn with our farm, only got their cattle back home today. Can you imagine? A flood that started on April 27th has affected that farmer so much and today we are June the 9th.

 For those who asked about High Water, the heifer calf who was born during the flood, she is doing really well. I may take her picture when I get a chance.  Life is really busy still.

The gazebo was all cleaned up by a volunteer and I  pressure washed it, but the swings will have to be painted later...

My next priority was  the perennial flowerbed and the path to the shed...   I dug up so many wheelbarrows of sand with weeds. I finally got the path to the shed cleared and I started to unearth my peonies that were buried under all that sand.  In places, I had to use the pressure hose to dig the peonies without damaging them.


Digging out the path from all the sand and weeds that came in.



This is what it looked like before I dug out the path from under all that sand and mud. You can get an idea by looking where the shovel is...


Even this flowerbed was under water but is still doing well. I need to clean out the brick border;


 I pressure washed the bricks around the flowerbeds and also the path and seeded the bare areas where the sand was. It's been hot during the day and I've watered the seeded are well but in no time it dries up.



Tjis shoes the path cleared of sand nd mu and weeds.


This is the path to he shed,  after removing the sand and mud off of it and pressure washing it and the bricks around the flowerbeds.


The daylilies flowerbed has had the topsoil replaced and so far they are doing well.

The next priority was cleaning out the garage where I had stored a lot of damaged stuff and the carport. Now my husband can park his truck in there.
My son helped me to bring a whole bunch of rusty shelves and metal scraps that could be salvaged for recycle to the farm metal heap for recycling and brought all my waste to the dump.  Now the garage and carport are all cleaned up.

Last evening, my son Vaughan tilled the back vegetable garden for me and today I planted the potatoes, onions, and peas.   I also repaired the flowerbed by the driveway that the flood removed the topsoil.

We got a frost warning tonight so I didn't plant flowers yet...  It's kind of late for frost in our area but nothing is as it was with this crazy weather but life is good and the spring flowers are still blooming as if nothing has changed. I'm getting a farmer's tan again.




In the meantime, flowers continue to bloom as if nothing happened.

There are still flood clean up to do in the farm office but that can wait until I have the time to deal with it. So far, nobody else has offered to do that cleanup.  There are still a bunch of papers in the drawers that got wet and are probably moldy by now that has got to be taken care of.  So is my life. I have to prioritize and all is as it should be.

Planting the rest of the garden is next and then the lawn that needs to be fixed.
Thanks for stopping in for a visit and leaving a little comment.  I so appreciate it.
Hugs, Julia






19 comments:

  1. It wears me out just reading about all you’ve had to do. Bless y’alls hearts.
    R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wow, Julia. I certainly don't envy you the flood and all the resulting work, but I'm so impressed with your strength and stamina! Your gardens are truly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Julia how hard you have been working!!! What a mess to clean up. And yet your gardens look amazing.
    I have thought of you so often and your hard work.
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have accomplished so much. I think I would want to sit down and give up. Hopefully seeing those beautiful blooming flowers lifts your spirits.
    I hope that you are able to get the rest done quickly. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh Julia, you have got so much done, from those first pictures you posted. Everything looks pretty.
    You are such a hard worker. Thank you so much for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet Julia I can see that progress is being made, such hard work. Amazing how the flowers just keep on blooming like nothing happened. I wish I could be there to help you in some way. I am glad to hear that High Water is doing well. Your flowers are looking beautiful and I hope your garden will be more beautiful and plentiful than ever. I am amazed at how much you have already done to get things back into shape. Keeping you in thoughts and prayers sweet Julia. Bless your son and all who are helping you and George get things fixed up. Big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I lived nearby, I would gladly volunteer each and everyday (all summer if need be) until everything is right again. After all, I'm retired and it would have been a good use of my time. Have you thought of sand bags for areas that flood the worst? Sand bags around the barns, etc. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rita. The entrance to the barn was sandbagged but the water rose faster and higher than predicted. It soon flowed over the barricade and sandbag. The pumps couldn't keep up with the amount of water that was coming in. It came so fast that it caught even the EMO Emergency Measures Organization by surprise. It was much worst than expected.

      We are used to occasional flooding and we can handle it but this flood was different.

      There was a full moon which resulted in high tide, very warm temperatures which caused snow to melt very fast, lots and lots of rain and high wind to move the water. A big dam up river that has to try to control the water level on both side of the dam is no small feat.

      Thanks for the nice thought of wanting to help with the clean-up. It's coming along nicely. I'm still taking things one day at a time and it's not overwhelming me. It's just part of life that we need to make adjustments to our regular schedules.

      Nature is very powerful and man is no match for her.
      Hugs, Julia

      Delete
  8. I wrote sandbag but actually, there were lots of sandbags, lol.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Julia, it makes me tired just looking at what all you have done, and what you need to do. Farming is so much work without this. I'm glad you're on this side of it, and you seem to have such a good attitude! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julia, I am so sorry to hear of all your troubles with the flooding. Glad you, your family and all critters safe. Sounds like you are working hard and keeping your spirits up. Best wishes and prayers that you will get through this and then get some rest! 🙂👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have been busy. The flood really does more to a yard then one understands.
    Thank you for the update on High Water.
    Did it you have a freeze? Hoping your garden does great.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  12. Julia,
    I am so sorry about the flood. You have enough work without that being added to it, yet your attitude is amazing.
    Love you!!!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will say it again. You are amazing. So much trouble. So much hard work. But NEVER a bad attitude from you. You are undoubtedly the most positive person I "know"! Your flowers are beautiful. Thank you for letting us share your life. Hugs back at you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All of those lovely colorful flowers are showing there is always, always hope! :-) We all know that getting upset about things only makes them worse...but, I have to say that your words, "I have to prioritize and all is as it should be." are amazingly admirable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so amazed at your vision and your hardworking nature! You work so hard and it all looks loved and cared for. I hope the papers in the office aren't too hard to sort.
    Take care, good Julia.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everything is looking fabulous already!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Julia, i’m glad that it is starting to look better now. You can only do one job at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Julia,
    You have been living in a nightmare yet you always have a glass half full! I know I would not have your strenght to endure such a water devistation but reading your post is uplifting in itself!
    Wishing you the best as summer now begins & your garden is there to greet you.
    Thinking of you. Enjoy some time in the gazebo with a nice glass of wine, cheers to you!
    Hugs,
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete