RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Monday, June 25, 2018

SPRING HAS COME AND GONE, SUMMER IS HERE, WHERE HAS THE TIME GONE?

Life is moving along. Some progress has been done but nothing earth-shattering. I'm not as enthusiastic as I once was about getting everything done on time and that's OK. As I age, my priorities changes and that's OK too. I've got a lot done in the gardens like repairing some of the damages caused by the flood. I planted a lot of potatoes at the farm and at home. At home, I planted some onions, 2 types of peas, Roma tomatoes, sweet bell peppers, three types of beans, beets, and cucumbers. I've planted some Celosias, marigolds, red salvias, white alyssum, some petunias, and lobelias. I still have more flowers to plant but I'm moving slowly because some beds are still not ready to receive flowers and it's slowing me down...   It's been a weird season for everyone so far.


The grass is starting to grow along with weeds that came in the flood. Yesterday, I weeded the garden on the right


Some bearded irises. I think they are called Stepping Out.

Lady Kin, lilac bush that is almost done flowering but so fragrant.



Some more tall bearded irises that need weeding.


Yellow bearded Irises that are almost finished blooming.

A fragrant white rose bush Blanc De Coubert


Cherub Smile Irises


Early potatoes in the back garden


Onions, 2 types of peas


Cucumbers I transplanted yesterday.

B3 Types of beans and beets that needs weeding



Geeen Bell Peppers and Roma Tomatoe also in need of weeding.

My front and back lawn are still not repaired. I have a pile of topsoil and compost in the middle of my front lawn and now that haying season is upon us, it will be a while before it gets done.  The front lawn is not my husband's priority but it's an eyesore.



 I've been cleaning out the garage and I'm trying to organize my husband tool drawers. He's notorious for not putting tools away after he completes a job and he never can find his tools when he needs them in a hurry... I found at least 6 hammers, 6 measuring tapes and triplicate of assorted screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers and so on.  I'm making some progress on that too but it's slow. Of course, he can never find the tool he's looking for so he buys another one. Some he bought a while back and he doesn't even remember buying it and it sits in its original packaging... I could open a second-hand tool store.

I just got a batch of  Cabernet Malbec Carmenere  Chilean red wine bottled and two more batches of Australien Shiraz on the go for August. I like to relax with a glass or two once my hard work is done.

I've been reading several books. Dodging Energy Vampires by Christiane Northrup, MD.,  an empath guide to evading energy vampires that drain your energy and restoring your health and power. Change your Thoughts Change  Your Life by Dr. Wayne Dyer and Sacred Contracts by Carolyn Myss. Awakening your Devine potential. I love books that deal with the mind or the soul.

 I've been hooking a little bit on my Julia Chicken chair pad. I hook about 30 minutes every couple of nights so it's slow going. I may run out of the gray-green for the background



I've attended a 60th Wedding reception for a couple we know from our church and on Tuesday, we will attend a funeral in a neighboring town for my daughter's mother in law tomorrow

I'm still working at the farm, looking after 34 calves and heifers.  Make that 35, as I got a new one this morning. Still no buyers in sight. Still too much uncertainty in the dairy industry market caused by we all know who...

I've been receiving acupuncture treatment for my sore shoulders and I have another appointment in July. I received 20 needles on various parts of my hands,  wrists, forehead,  neck, and shoulders.  It didn't hurt. I have another appointment in July.

Can you believe we are in the last week of  June? My husband is done with the farm income tax and he brought it to the accountant today. Farmers have a deadline of June 30th to get their income tax in.

Haying season has begun. I'm feeding my grandson at noon meals. Nothing has changed except I have to prepare meals for a gluten intolerant young man.

Thanks for visiting and please leave a comment.
Stay cool and enjoy the summer.
Hugs, Julia


25 comments:

  1. Wow I didn't know the diary industry in Canada is being affected by policy in USA. I just finished reading an article about diary farmers in Wisconsin saying they might resort to dumping milk....what a waste.

    Your flowers are beautiful. I just planted hollyhocks and they are starting to sprout. In this dry desert climate I live in in AZ, I have to constantly check to make sure the soil doesn't go dry. Been going out in the heat to sprinkle water on newly planted flowers. I envy folks who can afford their water bill and have green leafy trees and lawns. My poor pine tree on the west wide of the house had to be dripped constantly but still not getting enough water. The rest of my trees are desert hardy paloverde trees...don't need to water them at all so far. My yard is dirt and brown dust. When it use to rain, I had a nice lawn. Not anymore. We haven't had a decent rain in the last 20 years or more. I quit water the lawn because my water bill was so high.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you exhibiting a quilt at the Shipshewana quilt show?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Jacqueline, I'm not exhibiting a quilt at the Shiphewana quilt show but I bet there are some really nice quilt to be seen there. I always love looking at quilts... I live in New Brunswick Canada.
      Hugs, Julia

      Delete
  3. You are always busy Julia I do hope you get a chance to
    sell the farm and relax. You have a lot planted and looking good.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    Is this the first time you have tried acupuncture? If so, how did you come to decide to try it?

    Your Iris are so amazing. Even with all the crazy weather your green thumb is showing!

    My parents just sold the bulk tank .. that is it for the dairy equipment. Here in Wisconsin a lot is changing for the dairy farmers. It is so sad, I just do not understand the reason. My dad is glad he decided to sell the dairy cows after his heart attack. It was a terrible decision, but with all the changes, he thinks it was right. He misses his cows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carla, I got two gift certificate from my daughter Jackie for Christmas and it was for a Manual Health Clinic, run by a friend of hers. This lady specialize in Stress and emotional release, Traditional Chinese Acupuncture, Chinese medicine, Kinetic Swedish Massage, Myofacial Release, Cranio Sacral, and she is also a CFQ QiGong instructor.
      I was given the royal treatment. It was the most relaxing I did in a long time.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! You have a wonderful collection of Iris! I just planted my first bunch this Spring....a gift from a friend's garden. Your Julia Chicken chair pad is coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julia, I always enjoy reading your blog. You have amazing stamina and accomplish so much! Your flowers are beautiful! I love irises...Your rug hooking hen is adorable. I need to get back to hooking. I have been doing a lot of quilting lately, which I enjoy immensely. Take some time for yourself...you deserve it! Enjoy the wine!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Things are looking nice Julia. It’s gotten REALLY hot here too. We’re under a heat advisory all week. It’s brutal outside.
    I’m not a fan of you know who either.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my prayer ladies is from New Brunswick and has just been up there visiting. She grew up there, became a nun, left her order and married. I asked her to take some pictures because I’ve always been interested in Eastern Canada.
    Your iris are stunning, Julia!
    You work so hard! I’m glad you rest in the evening, relaxing with a glass or two of your wine.
    Take care, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julia I have so much respect for your work ethic. Most would give up with all you have had to deal with and do. You are a great role model for all.
    Everything looks wonderful. My husband does that buy another one too. I imagine the day we have a farm auction will be a very long sale.
    Wedding receptions and funerals so close together make us realize how important life is and to live and love it to its fullest.I am sorry for her family.
    I do hope your cattle sell and yes I know who you are talking about. HUGS B

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Julia,you’ve a big job on your hands but if anyone can do it then I know that you can. For most people it might seem like an impossible task but not for you. Already you have planted a great deal of plants. How do you do it? The hooking is coming along too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your garden is already looking good- amazing after the flood. Well done for what you achieved.
    You know who has a LOT to answer for! It is shocking really! He is a terrible person! I do hope you get a buyer for it. I hope the acupuncture helps you!
    Julia hen is looking so nice! You are so clever!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a mess with "you know who" and I pray daily for some good things to happen. We have a lot of farmers and dairy around here and they are suffering. Your gardens are so beautiful and I felt so bad with the flood knowing how hard you've worked to keep it all up and lovely. Just do what you can and rest when you should and it will come together. Your flowers are amazing! Maybe new fertile soil washed in with the flood..and weeds will grow in any darn soil and any darn place! Take care Julia and I'm sending up prayers for you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet Julia where you find time to do all that you do amazes me. You have done a lot of clean-up and work already. Pacing yourself is good...it will all get back in order in time. The plants in bloom are just gorgeous. I hope the acupuncture works and I am glad it is not painful. I am still wondering where spring went and cannot believe that July will be here in a few hours. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers sweet Julia. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Julia...you are such a hard worker...you are amazing! Your flowers are so pretty. Hope you get relief with the acupuncture...it sounds intriguing. I am an American who watches in horror as our country declines with each day. Every time I think we have hit rock bottom, he manages to take us to a new low. So sorry his ugliness has impacted you, as well. Love that you still find time to hook that lovely chicken! I'm reading The Soul Of America by Jon Meacham. It is hopeful about the future of America...how we have lived through bad times before and recovered. I pray he is right...but I'm less hopeful every day.
    Great to hear about what you are up to...take good care.
    Big hug,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Julia,
    Your flowers look amazing for all the flooding they went through. You are the hardest worker I know. You are like the Energizer bunny! I hope you get to relax one of these days!
    Sending big hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing lady you are! I wish I had half your energy, but maybe I would have if I had the work that you have to get through. The iris are lovely and so many different colours. Enjoy your glass or two of wine, a good Aussie one there too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, julia,,, your garden is lovely!
    After all the floods,,,!!
    Amazing woman you are,,,,
    Getting back to normal is a long road,,,
    I feel lazy this summer compared to you,
    Hope the acupuncture helps,,,
    Have a good weekend, getting hot and humid,,, hate that,, get even lazyer,,,,♡

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your yard is lovely. I can't believe it looks so great after that horrid flood. You have a ton of energy.

    We did the same type of chores, I cleaned out and organized my hubby's tool area too. It drives me nuts.

    Your hooking project is beautiful.
    You have so much energy.

    Hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Julia, the gardens are coming along nicely. I have recently started growing herbs in our small garden and I'm loving the results. Take care of yourself my friend x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your chicken project is looking GREAT. Oh, and what a beautiful blend of reds you have for your wine collection now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Its a joy to see your garden doing so well and the flowers are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hope everything is ok with you Julia and that you are well and the garden is picking up as well as the repairs. Any word on a sale?x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE irises!!! What a visual treat to visit this post. I'm glad I clicked through from Keith's blog. :-) Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete