RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Wednesday, October 2, 2019

KEEPING MY FINGERS NIMBLE

Hi everybody. Blogging has been put on the back burner again and again during the summer... Nothing much interesting to report. Everyday life is repetitive and I'm more interested in the welfare of my soul than in reporting every little daily occurrence of what I've been up to.

I've been relearning how to hook after about a 40-year absence. I'm working on a baby blanket for a project our woman group is doing for the needy and I'm almost finished. I've made so many mistakes on the ends and it makes my pattern looks wonky. I finally got it figured out. It's not perfect but it will still keep a small baby warm. I hope my next one will be a little better. I love hooking this pattern.
The color is a soft yellow but despite all my efforts, it came out almost white in the photo even when I didn't use the flash.



I've put some preserve in freezer bags and bottles and the leaves are falling and it's getting colder. The broccoli plants are still producing and so are the kale and Brussel sprouts. There are still tomatoes and cucumbers left in the garden. September just zipped by and I barely had time to say hello and goodbye.

I've helped my son clean out his tall weeds and I'm starting to slow down in the outdoors department. It was a good summer and the garden did really well. There is still a bit of color left and my Grottendorst pink rose bush is still blooming like there's no tomorrow and all the annuals are still giving us their last show of color before the frost comes.

I've helped with the church supper and also cut pies all afternoon on Sunday again this fall... We served well over 400 people. I think somewhere around 431 if I heard right. This is not an official count.



The leaves on the tree in our front yard have begun to fall and the mums are in their glory.


Bada Bing and Bada Boom begonias are still blooming.


Phlox are showing what the have left to give for this year.


The little tiny plant my son Vaughan gave me to grow has grown a lot in the raised carrot bed.


The Charles Davis rose bushes are still giving a bit of beauty.


The potted marigolds on the stone steps are looking tired.


These are doing a little better.



Serendipity lobelias are still giving a good show between the stone steps.


The potted begonias also are getting tired


The hostas are saying we've seen better days but the marigolds are still as happy as could be.


Another serendipity lobelia that self sowed is doing really well in the bed.


Inpatients are still blooming well and I gathered some seeds for next year.


The Grootendorst rose bush is still blooming. They will bloom till the frost.

That's about it for this post. I hope that you are all doing well and are happy to welcome Autumn.
I have mixed feelings because I do not like the cold and snow but I'm happy to take a rest from gardening till Spring.

Thanks for visiting and please leave a comment.
Hugs, Julia







24 comments:

  1. Hi Julia...always love to hear what you are up to. Your crocheted blanket is lovely. I once took a class to learn to crochet and just could not get it! Your gardens are looking great for this late in the season...ours are dried up from sun and little rain. I just came in from hand watering a few lamb's ears that miraculously survived a Florida summer. Thanks for sharing all your news.
    Robyn xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your plants still look lovely! So many beautiful blooms.
    You have hooking on the brain so you'd better go find your hook. Twice you referred to your baby blanket in terms of hooking...lol! A sweet blanket it is and how kind of you to donate it.
    Hugs,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha,ha,ha, Lauren. I'm still using a hook to crochet. I guess you're right. You just can't take the hook away from a hooker, lol.
      ❤️, Julia

      Delete
  3. Julia your flowers are so beautiful I especially liked how you called them by name, thats good for me as I'm not good at remembering all the names of flowers the only good thing I'm good at is finding a hardy perennial for spring, summer and fall so I can hope to have continual flowers blooming. Your's are all so impressive as is that darling, sweet blanket you made. That's going to be some lucky little baby to receive such a wonderful gift. I gave up on a vegetable garden after the boys grew up. It was fun having them pick their vegetables they wanted to plant and then have them harvest them but for some crazy reason my garden was getting so many bugs. Squash bugs, tomato bugs, earwigs in the corn. I finally gave up and turned the garden area in to a flowering bush area. So now I have roses, peonies, Hydrangea and some others I can't remember their names haha.
    It's good to see you blogging I've also been busy that I've neglected my blogging friends.
    Take Care Julia
    X0X0

    ReplyDelete
  4. what lovely plants you have! Sounds like you have been very busy.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Friend,
    So happy to see a post by you. :-) Your plants are beautiful. Do you winter over your begonias? If so how?
    We may have a light frost tonight. We have had an amazing September weather wise.. no frost and warm days, the tomatoes loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carla, no I don't winter over my begonias. I just buy them in small pots.

      Delete
  6. Loving your rug - and your garden.
    We are in Spring at the moment, and the garden shows it. LOTS of work ahead.
    It is really nice to see a post from you - stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EC. It's actually a crocheted baby blanket and not a rug.
      In other post I have shown my hooked rugs and they are hooked with strips of wool that I cut from wool fabric.

      Delete
  7. Your flowers look amazing. Ours were beautiful earlier but went south when the heatwave moved in.
    My sister hooks rugs and other stuff. That work looks complicated to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Julia! Wow! Your flowers are still so pretty! I like your crochet blanket, too! My sides are also wonky. I'm not that good at crochet.
    Yay for a rest from all the garden work. I don't like the cold when it goes on too long. I hope you'll have fires in the fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet Julia you flowers are just gorgeous. Looks like you are doing very well hooking. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely lovely yard with beautiful flowers. You're constantly a busy bee and I admire you that. I look around and see things need to be done but I procrastinate. You inspire me to get up and go :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your blanket. Your flowers are so gorgeous. I am so glad you are getting some beautiful weather.
    I just can't believe how big your flowers get.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is going to be one cozy little baby! :-)
    Your flowers are still showing such vibrant color...those lobelias add such a sparkle to the marigolds!
    I welcome autumn as well...looking forward to slowing down a little...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your flowers look better than mine right now. How wonderful to be crocheting a baby blanket...and it looks so warm and cozy! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  14. Any day I find a post from you is immediately a better day! It is amazing to me what you are able to do with the flowers AND the vegetables. Beautiful flowers, and crops to harvest AND put up. You get more done in one day than lots of us do in a week. You are way ahead of most everybody I know in the "soul" department, too. Thanks for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi RunNRose. I have no way of contacting you and I just wanted to thank you for leaving such sweet comments. I enjoy reading everyone's comments.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Julia. I wanted to email you and say thanks for the kind words about our son's passing. A while back I got a new computer and my email addresses went somewhere during the switch.
    Your flowers are so beautiful! I know how much love and work you put into them and they thrive because of you. This year wasn't a good flower year for me but hopefully next year I will get back to it.
    Your blanket looks lovely. The babies will be nice and warm with the winter coming on. Hopefully we'll have a few warm weeks left.

    Take care. I think of you often.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Julia,
    I always enjoy your posts, even though you think they might not be that exciting!! You are ONE BUSY LADY and I am always amazed by what you accomplish!!! I admire your beautiful blanket and must confess that I have never mastered that art, though I have tried and sadly failed! Right up there with knitting, too!! Oh well!!! No matter!!!
    Even your sad flowers look better than any I could ever attempt to grow......another thing I don't do well!! LOL
    That is A LOT OF PIE, too, official or not!!! Sounds like a lot of people were very happy!!!
    Now that things have slowed down for you outside, you may be able to get back to some rug hooking......hopefully!!!!
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend, my friend!!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your flowering blooms are gorgeous! WHat a riot of colour to see and so densely packed with flowers! I love them!
    Bravo to you for spending time on your soul rather than the minutae of life! The church supper sounds wonderful- the people you served must feel blessed. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your flowers are still so beautiful! You certainly are one of the most busy ladies I know.
    I love the baby blanket. That will be one lucky recipient.

    I hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Look how beautiful your blooms are! I'm glad they still are producing. Mine are starting to fade. My tomatoes are still producing and my peppers too. My green beans would be but I was tired of them...silly me. Anyway, your blanket is lovely and I'm sure the one who receives it will be thankful as well as warm! I love this time of year and the trees still have a ways to go before they peak in color.Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete