RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Friday, October 11, 2019

OCTOBER'S DELIGHTS

I can't believe how quickly October arrived and brought us some cooler weather and lots of colors...
The Autumn colors are in their full glory right now and we can hear the crunch of the fallen curly leaves underfoot.
The colors are breathtaking along the busy highway so I could not stop to take photos.


Instead, I took advantage of this beautiful young hard maple tree in front of my son's house by the riverbank.


This soft maple in our front yard is the first to lose its leaves in Autumn and the leaves all curl up unlike the leaves of the hard maple. They will be mulched with the lawnmower.


The first baby blanket has been finished and donated. The color came out better this time. It's not perfect but they were glad to have it.



I started another baby blanket in an aqua color and is a little larger with a new ergonomic crochet hook. It's so much easier on my hand.  I finally got the pattern right this time around. Practice makes almost perfect. I'll be running out of yarn to finish it and they were out of stock at Michael, so I'll have to wait till next Wednesday when the yarn comes in... I like working with this easy pattern.


On a cold damp day this week, I felt the need for a pan of raisin scones and it hit the spot. I had a big pot of soup but I didn't bother to take a picture of it... The scones were shared and didn't last long.


Here is an update on my homegrown ginger.  It's was neglected as a houseplant. I wanted to plant it outdoors in the garden but somehow never got around to do it. I'm pleased that it grew at all. The older piece I planted is still edible. It was very tall and the leaves tips were a bit dried up.

I've been weeding and gathering some pine needles for my blueberries but it's still too early to mulch them.  I don't want mice setting home in them and feed off my blueberry bushes in winter. Yesterday I disconnected all my garden hoses and put them away for next year. I'm tired and want to relax with my yarn and crochet hook.

I just got back from the funeral home for Brian, a farmer friend who passed away at age 65. It is very sad that he passed away so young.  The funeral is tomorrow. He was very active in the farming community and organization. He will be missed by all.

Take care, thanks for stopping by to read my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate it very much.
Hugs, Julia




12 comments:

  1. My condolences on the loss of your friend.
    Love those autumnal colours, and your blankets. I am sure they will be very much appreciated. I have never tried to grow ginger. Perhaps I should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about Brian's funeral at what was quite a young age.
    I wonder about growing Ginger- would be good to give it a try! It looks good. We use it for some curry recipes though I do have a mild reaction to it- a sort of Pins and needles in the tongue which I don't get from chilli!
    Your son's maple is beautiful- so red!
    Your blankets look really nice- I am quite sure they are very well appreciated! Your scones looked very good- it's good they were consumed quickly- they taste best that way!
    I hope your hands are ok.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our color really hasn’t started yet. Some of the trees went straight to brown during the heat wave.
    When it rained earlier in the week everything breathed a sigh of relief.
    It rained again last night.
    I plan to do some of the maintenance stuff today.
    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those raisin scones look fabulous!! It’s 50 degrees here today!!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  5. The scones look wonderful. Yum, I do like scones.
    I enjoy ginger, so I am fascinated that you grew your own. Well done.
    Sending prayers for the family of the young farmer family. That is so very sad.
    Sending Love Julia,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for the loss of your friend. Indeed, way too young. Your fall colors are beautiful. Having such a warm start to fall around here has delayed the colors from coming out but after this past week and very cool weekend I'm hoping for something to gaze at soon! I'm still not ready to close up the hoses...my tomatoes are still coming on! Weird for this time of year but I'm letting them go as much as possible. It may frost tonight so that could end it! Having a family gathering tomorrow to start our Halloween fun around here. I hope your Sunday is a restful one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about your friend passing at such a young age. Life can be cruel.
    Sweet, sweet baby blankets. I'm sure your donation is much appreciated.
    Enjoy your fall colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Julia,
    Maple trees are my FAVORITE, so I loved seeing this one!! This is the time of year I miss the most since we just don't see that where I live in Arizona! I can drive north though and see the changes, but it would be so very nice to just look out my window and see those colors!! sigh!
    Your scones look yummy and soup always sounds good!! So very sad about your farmer friend passing and know you will all feel that loss!!
    The blankets are so lovely and I know they are much appreciated!!
    Hope you have a wonderful week, my friend!!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Autumn colors have arrived here too! Love the red, yellows and oranges. Nature is at its beauty! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous fall colors at your place sweet Julia. The baby blankets are so nice. Now I am hungry...those scones look and sound yummy. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Julia!
    Good job on the crochet! I think your work looks nice and neat!
    I'm so sorry about your friend. He WAS young.
    We drained the sprinkling system for the snow but Bill turned it on again the other day when the temps approached 80 degrees! Crazy weather.
    Enjoy your handwork! You can rest. You deserve to.
    Take care, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is very young. I am so sorry Julia. I hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving. I love your baby blankets.
    So pretty. Makenzie lost her second baby this last week. Its one of those weeks. Kessie is expecting her seventh. So I just haven't had the energy lately to do much sewing or being creative. I love seeing your stitches.
    Have a lovely weekend. I love that fall color.

    ReplyDelete