RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Sunday, August 22, 2021

IT'S AUGUST AND IT'S FULL STEAM AHEAD

 I know, August is almost gone already and I only turned the calendar page a few days ago it seems. The weeds and harvest have kept me busy. Everything is ripening fast and in some places, the weeds are still ahead of me but little by little, I'm gaining momentum.  

George is busy with the haying and there is an abundance of hay this year. He's been filling his hay barns and selling large and small truckloads of hay from the field. He goes out early in the morning and comes back just before it gets dark. Too much work for an old fella. He's been dodging the frequent rains and lost two fields of mowed hay all ready because of the rain. Thankfully, they were smaller fields.



This is only a straight-ahead view of one of the baled hayfields. I took the camera and made a 360-degree turn and there were bales everywhere until they looked tiny.  It would take many pictures to show all the bales. Each bale weighs approximately 800 lbs.


My husband will be cutting hay into September he says. 


This is my potato garden at the farm. I planted two rows with four different types of potatoes. My husband George dug the rows for me but he dug them too close together and not deep enough.  I dug them deeper before planting my potatoes and he added the compost and I planted the spuds. Because of an ample supply of rain, they grew big this year.


These are called Norland and are good potatoes. 



This is the first year that I planted corn and it grew fast and furious. I can almost see it grow before my eyes. I keep checking up on it often and no beast has attacked it yet but the blackbirds and the crows have their eyes on them.  So I purchased 3 yards of sturdy unbleached cotton and with my serger machine, I sewed some little bags to protect the ear of corn. With the Serger it went super fast. In no time I had over 100 bags sewed and on the cobs. As soon as the silk on the cobs turns a light brown, it means that the cob has been fertilized and the bags can be safely put on to prevent the birds from pecking the kernels.



It looks pretty funny if you ask me. I sure hope it works. This will surely not please those feathered thieves. I wouldn't mind sharing some corn with them but they only pick open the top and go to the next and when it rains, the corn rots and is not edible. This is supposed to be super sweet corn and I can't wait to sample it soon.



The pattern I made was 9 1/2 inches wide by 7 1/2 inches long. Nothing fancy, I serge the edge. 

I thought I was thinking ahead and went to the Co-op and bought  6 ears of fresh corn and tried my first bag on this very long ear of corn. Then I went to the garden to put it on. It was way too long. 
My first prototype was 12 inches long but I had to reduce the length because I had not noticed that the long leaves on each side of the cob are halfway up the cob which made it impossible to fit the bag all the way down, silly me.  Of course, by then, I had already cut 75 pieces, thankfully, I had only sewed one before I tried it on the cob. No problem, I just cut off the excess on all 75 pieces and I just serged the two cut-off pieces together and it made just the right length for the bags as you can see on the left top corner of the photo. I'm always experimenting with something it seems.  


I have no rack to dry my onions so I used one of my swing seats in the gazebo. 
This year, I put some wood ash from the woodstove and they grew big. I have used a lot for my Lady Ashburnham pickles already. I've picked loads of cucumbers and made 3 batches of Lady Ashburnham pickles, and two batches of Bread N' Butter pickles. I didn't have time to take photos. 



The tomatoes are ripening fast also but I only have a few plants this year as my husband has some planted at the farm.





I'm showing off one of my large peppers that survived the deer and gophers attacks. Most of my peppers blossoms have been eaten.

I have to process my beans tomorrow and there's plenty.  There will be more garden stuff later on because I'm a farmer's wife after all. 

Stay safe and well. Thanks for visiting and leaving comments.
Julia


17 comments:

  1. Your garden is amazing! you plant a lot for two people or do you supply your family. the bags on the corn are funny but I sure hope they do the trick for you.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We plant a lot to supply our church with income, for family and we donate a lot too.

      Delete
  2. You have been SUPER busy - and productive. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an AMAZING farmer's wife...and gardener extraordinaire! Wowsers!!! The volume stuns me. I thought our family put up a lot of produce growing up (seems I was always cleaning cucumbers or cutting bean LOL), but you have us beat by a long shot. And there's only one of you. I'm curious about your Lady A pickles....are they "special"?? That pepper is the biggest darn pepper I have EVER seen.....and the corn socks are too funny....never saw anything like that. I will be curious to see if they were successful. Hopefully so! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  4. And such a fine farmer's wife you are! My goodness! You work so hard and I am amazed at all the haying your hubby does! The potatoes look fantastic and so does that lovely pepper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I posted about produce also but you have me beat! I can't believe you made all those covers for the corn! I've never seen anything like that before. So clever and perhaps you should go on "Shark Tank" show and mass produce them and make a fortune! Ha! You always amaze me with how hard you work and how much you get done. I've made pickles in the past but last year they really didn't come out very good so I decided to skip them this year. I'm sure yours are fabulous! Your hubby is a hard worker too. But that's what farmers do to keep us in food. They sure deserve a big thanks and a bigger paycheck! Please take care and don't work too hard. I'm sure you're laughing about that now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaya, the corn bags is not a new idea. I've heard about using paper bags but they don't last if it rain. My bags are washable and reusable. So far, they are still on the plants.

      Delete
  6. That pepper is HUGE! I'm glad your garden is doing well, mine's pitiful, but then I didn't get anything planted until the first week of June and then had issues with seeds not sprouting. I have one tomato plant I started from seed that just made it to 6" tall. Oh well, that much less work canning and freezing. Around here, the biggest sweet corn pest is raccoons - if you don't have an electric fence you probably won't get any. I hope the bags work for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JustGail, the deers, raccoons and gophers have stopped visiting my small garden since we installed an electric fence around my garden.

      Delete
  7. That is an amazing garden Julia. My goodness you are an incredible gardener. That hay is amazing. Hay is so expensive here now. Gold is not as expensive I don't think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are an incredibly hard working woman. And so inspiring, but even if I were young, there would be no way to keep up with you. So instead, I will just look at the photos, be awed and amazed, and so enjoy seeing all that you accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think my comment disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I was exhausted looking at all of those hay bales. As a teen I had to bale hay on my grandparents farm. So glad that is one chore I no longer have to do..but then it was needed to feed the cows and horses through the Winter. So glad you are able to reap the hard work of planting and tending your veggies. Thy look wonderful. Have never heard of protecting your cobs. Let us know how it worked for you. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMg, what amazing produce you are reaping from your garden!!! I complain with only a few raised beds. You and George must be exhausted, but how good will that all be this winter? Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that's a lot of hay bales! Doesn't sound like George is retired.
    Love your corn bags. What a hoot. I hope they work!
    Your garden and veggies look amazing as always.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,
    This was a fun post. A good harvest, that is what it is all about.
    I like the idea of the corn bags. This was our first year with a good corn crop. I am so pleased.
    It was fun to see the haying.. made me think of my parents.
    Love, Carla

    ReplyDelete