RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Sunday, August 28, 2022

SUMMER BEAUTIES SOON TO BE JUST MEMORIES.

 

It's been a very busy summer for me so far and I didn't blog very much lately as usual. Between working in the gardens and working in the house, I also kept busy preserving our bounty. 

 My hip has been hurting so bad, enough to make me limp quite badly. Weeds continue to take over in grandiose ways because I can no longer do it all. 

 For some reason, we had lots of rain and the grass has grown so fast this summer. We are at the end of August, and it has not slowed down, everything is lush and green this year.  The lawn should be mowed every other day to keep it tidy. My son is mowing with the big lawnmower but there are places he can't get by with it. 

I had promised some flower garden photos in my next post instead of preserves and pickles but because my iPhone had too many photos, the last batch didn't curate and they vanished. 


Rudbeckias and a patch of creeping Charlies 


Coleus of normal size that I propagated from last year's sole surviving plant started from seed this year.  


I started these Rainbow coleuses and they look like Coleus on steroids. lol...


One of my hydrangeas that survived deer attacks in the spring.


A young hydrangea and daylilies.




Arthur Moore daylilies which by now have all spent their flowers




Toltec Sundial daylilies


One of my many Asiatic lilies


I think these are Saloam Button Box Daylilies. I have way too many to post on this blog and you have all seen them in past posts anyway.


I had a question from Robin the Cranky Crow about what kind of electric stove I was using for canning vegetables with my large All American  Pressure Canner. It's a Samsung electric glass top stove with a very large burner. It has worked fantastically so far.


I hope it answers your question, Robin. I had taken a photo of the Large All American pressure canner on that burner but because I had too many photos on my iPhone, it did not curate and I lost it along with many other flower photos I had taken for this post. 

On a sadder note, my brother Leo, lost his battle with brain cancer this past week. I'm glad I got to see him before he died.  I hadn't seen him since before the pandemic. He was extremely emaciated and in a lot of pain lately. He had been paralyzed, and couldn't see in one eye and everything was blurred in the other since his brain operation in December 2021. Also, he had lost his hearing in one ear and needed help to sit and eat, and couldn't do anything for himself.  He was admitted to Palliative care and the next day, he passed away with his family at his side.

Thanks for visiting and please leave a comment if you care to. 
Julia

23 comments:

  1. Your coleus is beautiful! We have had not much rain this year, but the weeds still manage to grow. UGH Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your flowers are beautiful. We have pushed our grass to be mowed every other week. We are happy that it has stayed green; we have had more rain this summer. Lately, we feel the Autumn like days...seems early this year. So sorry for your loss. So much sadness. Praying he is at peace now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First I'm very sorry for the loss of your brother but now he is no longer in pain and in GOD's home..
    I thought hip pain and limping was normal for us elder folk although not pleasant. Love those yellow flowers (forget their name) and while I don't have any in my yard do they need to be divided like Daylilies and other perennials? Sadly my daylilies and tiger lilies are dying off because they've been neglected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Saundra, are you talking about the flowers in the first photo. They are Rudbeckia and the clump keeps getting bigger every year. They can be divided if you want to more but I never divided for in years. It was a little plant given to me by my neighbour who since has died of Alzheimer and they are a reminder of her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right ~ summer beauties will soon be just memories, but they will be sweet memories. I am sorry you weren't able to post more of your pictures, but the ones here are so beautiful. Hydrangeas are favorites of mine and wish I had even more. At the same time I am looking for ways to cut back, I am planning to make the garden even bigger. I am sorry about your brother. I know that was a tough loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry for the loss of your brother... I hope the fact of no pain now will help to soften the grief... Coke ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heartfelt condolences on the loss of your brother. I am glad his pain has been relieved, but ache for the people who loved him..
    We had a wet summer last year (and winter too).The weeds thrived and I could never get on top of them. We are moving into Spring now and the garden is crying out for a lot of work. We have been promised a wet Spring and Summer.
    I love the blooms you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss. Your garden is beautiful, but of course requires so much work. You are doing a great job though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have hip pain from unknown causes for several years now. Thats on top of sciatic woes since a marathon weeding session on my hands and knees about 10 years ago. I guess I should go see what's up, but I fear they'll say surgery is only remedy and I'm not sure I'm ready to hear that officially. You are doing far better keeping up with the gardening and weeding than I am. I'm sad that my garden is pathetic until I remember that means no hours standing in the kitchen to freeze or can it all.
    I've never seen a burner that large on a glass-top stove! I think I'll investigate those electric canners. Maybe. I know - they aren't fully blessed by the USDA, but how can they be much different that doing it on stove top?
    Sorry about your brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just Gail, thanks for your comment. My pressure canner is not electric, it's the stove that is electric, lol.
      Julia

      Delete
  10. I am so very sorry to read of the loss of your brother.... Even though it sounds like it was a blessing for him in many ways, it nevertheless causes pain for those left behind. Praying for healing and comfort in the days to come. Your flowers are gorgeous! I, too, am partial to hydrangeas and they surround my house on all sides. Even though they are cut back each fall, they are wild giant things by each summer's end and getting more and more out of control....but I love it LOL. I really love those last day-lilies you posted (Saloam Button Box). I'v never seen them before. I am also sorry to read of your hip pain. You, my friend, need to slow down!! Perhaps cut back on the garden sizes and preserving for half the county?? 😉 I know it will always be a part of your life and gives you pleasure and satisfaction but perhaps just dial it back to a bit more manageable? I hope you don't take offense at my comments but I worry for you. Please take good care of yourself... ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow) (And thank you for the photo of your stove...Yes, that is one large burner!! I can see why it works for you.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your flowers are all drop dead gorgeous! Lucky you to have had plenty of rain!!!
    So sorry about Leo's passing, but he is now at peace and pain free.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was good to catch up today and I’m so sorry about Leo. I hope the funeral with family is healing

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Julia, I'm so sorry for the loss of your brother. He went through so much but now will be pain and suffering free. Having lost my brother a year ago I feel your sadness at the loss of a sibling. I hope you find comfort and healing in the coming days. Your gardens are amazing and your flowers look beautiful. I know how hard it is to keep up with the yard and gardens and sometimes think we would do better to move to an easier lifestyle. I have nothing compared to you but it's still a struggle at times. I've been canning tomatoes, carrots, green beans and freezing lima beans. I have an electric canner that only does pint jars but for the two of us the pints work well. If I was feeding a large family I would go back to quarts like I did in the past. Take care of yourself and rest when you can!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautiful. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear sister, I really enjoyed our time together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had an amazing time with the family and we had a proper farewell to brother Leo. I miss you all already.
      ❤️ Hugs, Julia

      Delete
  16. My sincere condolences to you in the loss of your brother. Hugs and prayers to you and his family. How lovely all of your flowers are!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so very sorry for your loss...I am glad you got to see him.

    You have some beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such lovely flowers! So very sorry for the loss of your brother. Hugs and prayers to you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sorry for your loss, Julia. Your flowers are so abundant. Bill cleared all of the wild out of our beds and I feel so much better about the garden now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Julia,
    I have become a fan of Coleus over the years. They are becoming a true favorite of mine.
    Praying for you and your family.
    Love, Carla

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so sorry to hear about your brother. I lost my younger brother this past January. So very sad. I do hope your hip feels better soon as well ♥

    ReplyDelete