RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Sunday, October 16, 2022

COUNTING MY BLESSINGS, HOLY MOLY, IT'S ALREADY PAST MID OCTOBER.

 Thanksgiving came and went and I'm very thankful for all my blessings. On Sunday I cooked a small turkey and mashed potatoes, squash, broccoli, and gravy, pickles of course, and made two lemon pies. I usually prepare everything early in advance but somehow, I didn't this time. I had to split the turkey in half and all the food in two to be shared with my grandaughter's family of 5 and I delivered it to them. Unbeknown to me, my granddaughter wasn't feeling well enough to prepare her turkey dinner and she was pleased to receive the dinner already cooked. I didn't make the dressing but gave her a box of StoveTop as I had forgotten to buy celery to make the dressing. My son Vaughan joined George and me and we had a lovely Thanksgiving dinner without the dressing, (my favorite part)lol... Of course, I got too busy enjoying dinner to take any pictures.

We've had lovely weather and I took advantage to clean a large overgrown weedy daylily flower bed. It took me over three afternoons to get it cleaned. The sun was low so the photo is of poor quality.


On October 3rd.  We had our first frost. You can see where the sun hit, it melted the frost. 


 Luckily, I cut a large bouquet from my two Hydrangea bushes that grow on the front lawn before the frost hit. Now,  I can enjoy them all winter when the snow flies. Sorry, I forgot to take a photo of the bouquet but it's huge and I put it in front of the fireplace.

On Tuesday the 4th, I went apple picking with a friend at Everett Apple Orchard in Islandview,  the same place I went last fall, and picked 40 pounds of apples to be divided between my granddaughter, my son, and us. Two days later, I got a call from my friend to tell me that she had tested positive for Covid. It will be two weeks on Tuesday since I was exposed to her but I'm still symptom-free and tested negative. Hopefully, I'll stay symptom-free.  

My daughter Jackie teaches weaving in the textile department at the New Brunswick College of Crafts and Designs, and since we had an abundance of squash, she took a trunkful of squash to share with students. Here is the student's thank you card. Getting a thank you card was extra special.


A few of my followers were interested in seeing the bottles of jam, pickles, vegetables, and meat that I preserved. This is what I have left after selling 5 cases of pickles and one case plus 3 bottles of jam at the Farmer's Market and giving some to family members and friends and we ate some of course. I don't know exactly how many bottles I made in all but it was around, or over 300 bottles. 


Carrots and pork and some jam.



Carrots and pork ( same as previous picture)


Here I have Lady Ashburnham, beans, preserved beets, beet pickles, green beans.



Lots of large jars of Dill pickles, bread and Butter pickles



Corn kernels from my garden and Million Dollar relish. I would have preserved more corn but the electric fence switch was left open during the night and the raccoons devastated my second harvest. Hopefully, it will not happen next year. 

This is a poor picture from the end of one shelf. It wasn't easy to take good pictures of all the bottles on the shelves but at least, you get an idea as the shelf is full on both sides.   I also filled a brand new 7-square-foot freezer full to the brim with veggies the rest in my other freezers. There is an overabundance of potatoes, squash, and twice the amount of sweet potatoes that I harvested last year. No pictures.


Then I bought more bottles while they were on special for next year as they are very expensive.  They will come in handy if we are still alive next summer. I still have a lot of small and large jars not shown.

This is my Sundrop and red daylily bed after I removed the tall debris. I still need to sweep the brick border. The small green plants are next year's Sundrops.  I'm still in the process of putting my gardens to bed for the winter. I'm slow at getting them cleaned as I have so many of them all over the yard and only work when it's warm in the afternoon. 


I cleaned this bed yesterday and weeded around one of my Hydrangea between raindrops... I now have 8  and 1/2 flowerbeds cleaned with more to do and also my vegetable garden. I'll spare you any more garden pictures.

George and my son Vaughan put a new metal roof over my sunroom so no more leaks in my ceiling. Yay!  Now if I can get my ceiling fixed.

I'm booked for a Rug hook-in in St Andrews New Brunswick in November. There is only room for 35 rug hookers. I'm looking forward to it. It should be fun.

Thanks for visiting my blog. It always feels good when you leave a kind comment. 






10 comments:

  1. You have been super busy and very productive. Colour me impressed.
    I am glad that you enjoyed Thanksgiving and hope that you have escaped Covid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief woman, that looks like a well stocked grocery store warehouse! Looks to me like you wouldn't have to do any canning for the next 2 years and still have plenty to eat during those 2 years. And those are some huge flower beds you worked hard on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy hell woman! Slow down. You are putting us all to shame. 8 1/2 flower beds and more to go??? Sadly I can't work in the yard at all because of this darn leg. I am too afraid of twisting the ankle and causing more injury.
    That's a LOT of canned goods and to think you sold many more. Way to go.
    Gorgeous hydrangeas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Words escape me! I can only shake my head in wonderment! As Saundra said, " This looks like a well stocked grocery store warehouse." Now I don't feel so anxious about taking care of my new one hundred foot flower border, for I can just come here and be inspired by all of yours ~ 8 1/2 and counting. I hope you'll rest up a bit before heading to the Rug Hooking event, which will be a great way to end a long hard summer. (By the way, we lost most of our sweet corn to raccoons the past two years. And, that was with electric fencing. They are smarter than we are! :~/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I forgot to take some Hydrangeas from my bushes inside. UGH You made me tired just looking at all of your canned goods, but I know you will appreciate it in the coming months and it will save on your grocery bill. I have a girlfriend who stuff her turkey with Stove Top every year and her family does not know. Its funny because they love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Janice I forgot to bring in a few of the hydrangeas left on my one lonely bush. We may be getting frost tonight and I did see a few flakes today...not sticking thankfully. You had my mouth hanging open in wonder looking at all that work in the canning of your produce. It's a good feeling knowing that you have plenty of food for family and friends and yourself incase of an emergency or snow storm! You do so much and I imagine your flower beds are breath taking when all in bloom! Happy belated Thanksgiving! It sounds very yummy and how nice to be a little angel for your Granddaughter. After being symptom free for two weeks I'm sure you won't get Covid from your friend. Enjoy your nice, dry sunroom and the November hook-in! Take care Julia!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You never cease to amaze me! Your family is food secure for this winter for sure! I just wish I had your energy and gardening skills. Enjoy your hook in there is nothing like being with other women and enjoying your down time.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! That is just amazing Julia, all of that food!! I am so glad you did that as it seems to get crazier up in your neck of the woods. California is nutty. I just cringe inside at what is going on up there. I am glad you are going to a hook in soon. It sounds like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy October Days, what a lovely Thanksgiving Blessing for your Granddaughter.
    I am excited for you to attend your event.
    Love, Carla

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy October Days,
    A lovely Thanksgiving Blessing for your Granddaughter. I am so happy that you will be able to attend the event.
    Love, Carla

    ReplyDelete