RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Sunday, December 4, 2022

TURNING THE CALENDAR PAGE FOR THE LAST TIME THIS YEAR.

 Hello December, I'm a little late to greet you as I'm running behind. 


Yay! I started my Christmas decor. The Nativity is usually the first thing out, just in time for Advent. I see I need to replace the snow as it's getting worn out. My nativity is 22 years old and was given to me by Christine. I just love this nativity.

I was going to post to mark the end of  November but one thing lead to another and it didn't get done. 

Our church ladies organized a Christmas bazaar and raised over $2000. with this fundraising in three hours.  I did a baking marathon for the bake sale and donated some homemade heat bags that we call magic bags to sell before going away for the weekend in Bathurst, a three-hour drive. George wanted to stay home, and I got my son to check up on him from time to time.

I had a wonderful time in Bathurst and got there ahead of the big storm on Saturday. I was invited to a very popular Chinese restaurant by my brother Gerrad and we all ordered the buffet. We ate till there was no more room. The place was packed and the food was good. The next morning, on Sunday there was over a foot of snow on the ground. The snow didn't keep anybody home.

The family gathered at my brother's house and we all had a great time. A lot of chatter and laughter but a little more subdued than the previous year since we all missed our brother Leo.  Normally, everyone stays later but because of the heavy snowstorm, people started to leave home a little earlier than usual. There was so much food. My sister-in-law, Theresa is the hostess with the mostess. For those who live far away, we connected on the tablet through Messenger.

I came home on Monday. The snow was still drifting quite a bit and the roads were snow-packed and slippery. Once past Bathurst, the roads were slushy and the sun was low on the horizon.  A good thing I got a good pair of sunglasses that cut out the glare. Past Bathurst I got my car windshield cracked by a flying rock in heavy traffic. It needed to be replaced. From Miramichi to Fredericton, the grass was green.

I had a birthday in late November and George took me out to breakfast and again for supper at a seafood restaurant. We got our fill and had to take the rest home.  It's funny how the stomach can stretch when the food is so good. I said to George, I think I gained weight this week and he laughed at me and said, "Yeah, maybe half a pound, lol...

I help prepare another funeral reception on Friday with our church ladies. We did a lot of baking sweets and preparing sandwiches and so it seems there is never a dull moment but it's always fun to work with this group of ladies. We laugh a lot.

I attended the last hooking meeting of the season and we all had a wonderful time. There was a lot of chatter and we seem noisier than usual. We'll meet again for our Christmas Party. 

Stay safe and well, hugs.

Julia





10 comments:

  1. It all seems like a lovely time. So sorry you were missing your brother. Have fun at your next hooking meeting.
    What a lovely manger from your dear daughter
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully you arrived home safely, particularly with a foot of snow! I believe the snow sheet is perfect as it is. Snow doesn't drop or drift evenly and so it is perfect.
    Julia, as active as you are I agree with your husband...you wouldn't have gained anything more than 8 oz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that you were able to spend time with your family. I think I have figured out that we are the same age. I also have a November birthday. I, like you, keep busy here on the farm, so find we have a lot in common. I love your nativity. Hilltop post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet remembrance from Christine.
    That was quite a storm. So happy you were able to get together with family and not be affected by it. I'm sure everyone was missing Leo.
    Happy belated birthday!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to have been able to spend time with your family - even though you were all missing your brother.
    It is a shame about the windscreen but it otherwise sounds like a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure that Nativity will always be near and dear to your heart as it was from your daughter. I'm glad you could go and gather with family even with a snow storm. It is hard to see that empty chair. We missed my brother last year at Christmas as well as my Mom. We will gather in a few weeks and again miss all those who aren't there. It's important not to miss those times. It seems like your having a good December so far and I hope there's many more fun times ahead! Congrats on that sale raising so much money! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Nativity is beautiful. I have started my Advent Reading that Bishop Barron wrote for this season. It is very powerful.

    Enjoy December!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday my dear Julia!!
    I am so happy you had family time.

    I had to chuckle about gaining a few pounds. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch on the cracked window. Happy belated birthday and so glad you were able to have some fun. Also glad you did not get stuck in that snowstorm while driving. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really glad you had a lovely time with your family and the food sounds fabulous! Well done for helping out at the funeral and at the church sales.
    Hope that you are having a peaceful and joyful Advent!x

    ReplyDelete