RUG HOOKING BLOG

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of four grandmother of seven and great grandmother of three. I live with my husband in the house that we built with the help of my brothers and will have been married for 57 years this February.

Monday, April 27, 2020

A LITTLE PROGRESS DURING COVID-19 ISOLATION

Despite being in self-isolation, I haven't felt the stress of not going shopping but since I can no longer go to church, I've been finding more time to pray and have found some wonderful communities online who share my faith and we meet often by Zoom to pray and share stories of our faith.

I've been baking bread instead of buying it and baked a lot of fluffy biscuits and scones. I made a lot of soups and I've been using what I have in my freezer and pantry instead of buying more than I need every time I see something on sale at the grocery store. I only get the basics like fruits and veggies and odds and ends. It's time for a run to the grocery store. I've made a long list.

Although we have been under the threat of flooding again this spring, so far the river has not spilled its bank here except in the lower areas. The water came close to the edge of the Lane but it went back down. It still could rise again depending on the weather but so far it looks good. It will soon be fiddlehead picking time but the road to the fields are still too wet.

I didn't clean out the many flowerbeds last fall just in case it would flood again this spring and I wanted to try to keep the soil from being washed away. New growth has started to pop up and so I started cleaning some flowerbeds. I'm doing it slowly and I don't feel rushed.



Just because it looks so bleak outside still, I thought I would share a bit of color.
Before Lent, I was given these huge poinsettias from the church because nobody wanted to take them home. The leaves had all fallen off except the red bracts.  They suffered water neglect but have started to grow new green leaves.




My next splash of color is these daffodils that grows in a sheltered spot by the back of the house.  It gets very dry there in the summer and is not an ideal spot but they have survived just the same.

Nothing much of interest going on in my life to show you but here are some before and after photos of my flowerbeds.


The before picture of the long daylily flowerbed and the rock wall flowerbed. Very yucky looking.


The after picture of the cleaned daylily flowerbed. The rock wall flowerbed has been cleaned but I'm only showing a portion of it. It looks a little better.


The before picture of the dead Hosta flowerbed in front of the house


The Hosta bed cleaned up from the other side.



Before picture of the daylily flowerbed, yucky looking as well.


The cleaned daylily bed. Note the bottom layer is still not cleaned and is full of chickweeds.


This is a before picture of the Sundrop garden when we still had snow. The snow is all gone and I'm almost finished cleaning it. I'll take a picture later.


I saved all the dead plant debris and put it in feed bags to be made in mulch. My Gazebo is a good place to keep it dry until I mulch it with the lawnmower.


Here's another bunch of bags full of dead daylily debris and the leaves I raked from the front lawn, also to be mulched.
I've cleaned more flowerbeds but didn't take any pictures.

That's it for today. Stay well and safe and thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
Hugs, Julia

15 comments:

  1. Hi, Julia! No hooking progress in isolation? I finally got back to a small project I started last year. I think everyone is Zooming except me. I need to learn how!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You plants look amazing! You have very large flower beds too lots of work. Glad you are using zoom and connecting with others.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our family had FaceTime church. It was really great, we were able to all connect via Face Time and had family church. It was really great. I'm like you when all this isolation started I just used what was in our freezer and food storage room, it was great and I am so glad we kept things stocked up. My first shopping trip was on line order from Walmart where they do your shopping and load it in the car for you. The second time I needed a few quick items I put on a mask and went in. You are such a great gardener I started weeding my flower beds and got half done, but that was like a few weeks ago haha I still need to finish the other half but by that time the first half will need it again. Theres no end haha My Iris's are starting to bloom, how I love them. Your beds are looking good, I wish I had your skills.
    Glad your doing well.
    Saimi

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been busy - and you and your gardens will soon seen the benefit of all that work.
    Love the poinsettias (which don't grow for me). Daffodils do and I am planting lots.
    I also need to learn Zoom.
    Stay safe, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It appears the quiet life suits you! You’ve done loads of yard work, wow. It’s interesting to see the faith communities that have sprung up on line now.
    Keep well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you have been as busy as always and that retirement hasn't slowed you down. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your cleaned up flower beds. I want to plant flowers in containers so it's easier to water and maintain. Arizona sun usually fries my plants so have to put shade over them. I wish they made little garden umbrellas to put over plants. Hey, that's and idea...I can buy umbrellas and plant them in gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    Tell me more about keeping poinsettia. I have two that I would like to keep. They are still in the pots from the store I bought them during the Christmas season. Should I re-pot them? Do they like sunlight year around?

    Your flower beds look great, ready for the season. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carla, I always put the poinsettias on the tile floor in the sun room and make sure they don't dry out. My sunroom is facing south.
    They seem to like the cold floor. I leave them in that room all the time. I treat them just like my other house plant. I don't keep the heat up in that room but it's not cold either. I don't really know what I'm doing right. lol... Just luck maybe.

    I have kept some for up to three years but when I get an infestation of white flies, I throw them out. The white flies might have come in through the screen door in the summer... Who knows.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done to you for making use of what you have got in the pantry. We've been using pasta and things we've had in our cupboards for a while but needing to stock up on fresh fruit, veg and eggs and last week, I got some fish and treats for CBC's birthday.
    You've worked miracles on those Poinsettas- they look much healthier than you said they were originally. Your daffodils look really cheerful too.
    You've done a lot of good work clearing up those beds. I hope you don't get any more floods. I look forward to seeing the Fiddleheads!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mom has a poinsettia that blooms this time of year. Hope the river does not flood for you. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  12. You definitely have a lot of flower gardens to tend to, and they are always so beautiful. You have been blessed with a super green thumb.
    Prayers that the river does not rise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a hard working gal! I know your flower beds will look fabulous in a few months. Jack and I have a simple church service on Sunday at home and then zoom with other members of the church and discuss lessons. I told Jack I actually feel closer to God these past weeks and although I miss being in church I think of it as a blessing to focus more on my faith. Take care Julia!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Julia! Oh, you ALWAYS have such a grand garden/gardens! It's finally warm here and I hope it stays that way. I planted lots of seeds today. Take care, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Julia,
    WOW!! Now that is A LOT of BAGS!!! You certainly needed all of them for all that work and it sure looks fabulous!!! I know you are anxious to be able to get some things planted and see things growing!! The poinsettias are really beautiful too, and happy you were able to care for them!!
    Take care and stay safe and well, my friend!!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete